After years of blacksmithing as a hobby I was in a head-on car accident, and was laid up for about a year and a half. Tired of tv, and not being able to find interest in passive hobbies, my father-in-law set my up an old Craftsman lathe. I went out to my shop on my crutches to give it a try using a cheap set of tools while sitting on a shop stool. I did simple spindle turnings, my first specialities were lobster bouys that I had seen on a trip to Maine. I wanted to progress to bowls, so it wasn't long before I demolished that Craftsman. I started reading books, bought a few videos, went to seminars, joined the AAW, met helpful turners, and now I own 3 lathes. Even though I live in Georgia, Bill Grumbine was the first person I saw turn a bowl, and this was after I had been turning bowls for over a year. I can't say enough about how Bill helped this cripple. In fact I bought the same lathe he has. I admit to being hooked. I am so glad I found wood turning, and the people that do the same, they are such a fine group to know. Woodturning allows me to make things that people appreciate, and I am so thankful. Now how about the rest of you how did you get started?
The spin starts here....