Thread: Dozuki Recommendations

Dozuki Recommendations

I'm looking to purchase my first "eastern" saw and I'm not a hand tool guy. No flaming please.

I will not be using it for dovetails just general cutting when I need to do small jobs and need a good cut.

Recommendations and reasons please.

Thanks,
    Jim

Believe it or not, the Dozuki "Z", which can be had at Woodcraft, was rated rather high about 2 years ago from FWW. Other than that, I would check out the offerings from Lee Valley. I have a Silky dozuki, which folds up into the handle. It seems pretty good, but I bought it from Highland Woodworking on a trip last year basically because it came in a promotional pack with an extra blade. Like I said, it seems like a good saw to me.
    Maurice

The Mitsukawa hardwood ryoba from Hida is very nice, about $90.00. If your not planning on cutting dovetails and want a saw for general use a ryoba would be a better choice than a dozuki. However, if you do want a dozuki Hida also has a great Mitsukawa in either rip or crosscut. If you decide to cut dovetails, you can still do so with a ryoba.
    Last edited by Dale Osowski; 02-02-2010 at 7:56 AM.
    DJO Furniture Maker / Timberwerks Studio

+1 on the Z saw. I really like mine.

Please read the Best Japanese Dovetail Saw for the Money thread, then come back.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Eller View Post
    I'm looking to purchase my first "eastern" saw and I'm not a hand tool guy. No flaming please.

I will not be using it for dovetails just general cutting when I need to do small jobs and need a good cut.

Recommendations and reasons please.

Thanks,
    Jim

Starting out, I don't know how you could do better than get a Razorsaw 650. Some might prefer the 651, but I think the slightly stiffer saw blade is better to start with.

You can get one here.

The wider blade of the ryoba lets me look down the blade and line it up with better accuracy than a saw with a spine would let me.

I love my Gyokucho saws.

Bob

As usual, thanks for the good and quick info.

Seeing I have a Woodcraft in the area I may start with a look at the "Z".

Still open to suggestions.

Jim

It's not exactly what you were asking about, but I picked up one of these Shark Saws to try. They got good reviews, and were about $20, so didn't cost me much to try this style saw. I haven't used it more than twice, but it cuts well. Also picked up one of these, but haven't made any cuts with it yet.

Lee Valley has a really nice Kugihiki (Flushcut) Item number 60T0621. It is fine toothed, has no kerf and does a great job on dovetails.

I have tried quite a few Japanese Saws. The Z saws are good, If you stone them carefully, you can improve the finish they cut and have a fairly amazing saw.

My sharks I reserve for cutting pvc pipes and stuff. They take abuse and a few missing teeth don't matter.

the Bakumas tend to drift on me, so I have no love for them.

If you go high end, there are saws that will beat the RazorSaw 650 ryoba. The high end saws require a bit more care and skill to use.

None of the replaceable bladed saws I have used come close to being as nice as the 650. I prefer the Lee Valley Kugihiki for really thin wood and small cuts. With deep cuts, the lack of kerf can make this saw a pain however, so for the most part I prefer the 650 It will leave behind a finish equal to 220 sandpaper or even better, while making a straight cut. It is also pretty fast.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    Believe it or not, the Dozuki "Z", which can be had at Woodcraft, was rated rather high about 2 years ago from FWW.
    +1 on the WC Dozuki. They frequently go on sale for $29.99. I believe it's the same saw Tashiro hardware sells as their Dovetail Saw.

Bob,

That's quite an assortment. I'm just lookin' for one saw to grab when I need to make a quick smooth cut.

You said, "The high end saws require a bit more care and skill to use." Some of those words aren't in my vocabulary. I'm a power tool kinda guy. If ya need hearing protect to use it, I like it

I really admire hand tool guys. I wish I could do it, but it's just not my style. I think the key work for hand tools for me is "patience".

Thanks,
    Jim

Hey Jim!

Don't forget, whatever you buy, get one that has replacement blades that are EASY TO FIND! Remember the headache I ran into at Rockler last weekend???

Dell
    Living that Anne of Green Gables lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Dell Moore View Post
    Hey Jim!

Don't forget, whatever you buy, get one that has replacement blades that are EASY TO FIND! Remember the headache I ran into at Rockler last weekend???

Dell
    I have five spare unused 650 blades. And I am on a pretty tight budget. This saw makes me look like I know what I am doing, so I don't want to do without it. Ever.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Strawn View Post
    I have five spare unused 650 blades. And I am on a pretty tight budget. This saw makes me look like I know what I am doing, so I don't want to do without it. Ever.

Bob
    Yer right Bob.

That pic had me fooled

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    ......bought it from Highland Woodworking on a trip last year..........
    A-HA!! Once an addict, always an addict, eh Maurice? You made it sound like you had kicked the habit.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.