Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first set of chisels........

try the stuff that says "stripper" in a can at home depot.

[QUOTE=Thomas L. Miller;2089210]George,
    I too have a set of Two Cherries chisels. They have that shiny plastic coat of "something" on them and it makes me crazy. I've tried denatured alcohol, acetone and lacquer thinner on them to no avail. I really want that stuff off the chisels. Should I just soak them in something overnight or longer? The stuff seems impervious. Rust on the chisels isn't a concern for me since my shop is climate controlled. Thanks for any help!
    Tom[/QUOTE

I would send a note to Two Cherries (Wilh. Schmitt & Comp. GmbH & Co. KG) and simply ask them what they use for the handle finish. Once you know that it should be a simple matter to determine the correct solvent.

Ron

Blog Entries
    OK, we just had this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...tanley-chisels about lacquer on Stanley chisels and now we have one on Two Cherries chisels.

So, I have to ask, when did they start coating the metal on chisels with lacquer? Until I read the Stanley thread I assumed the OP was talking about removing laquer from the handles, not the metal. AFAIK none of my chisels I've bought new (a mix of Ashley Iles, Sorby, Stanley, Crown, old USA made Craftman and WoodRiver) have had coatings on the metal.
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hirsch and 2 Cherries lacquer their blades. Also,they buff their blades so much the bottom edges are rounded a bit,and have to be sanded flat to sharpen their corners. That removes the lacquer from the bottoms of them. I think I recommended just using paint stripper. DO NOT let the stripper stay on any longer than needed. It may discolor the steel. Wipe off and wash with soapy water and dry. Leave no trace of it at all.

The most offensive European thing I have seen on tools is Stubai painting everything blue. We had to make some 18th.C. reapers(Name of them has gone out of my head!!) for the agricultural program. The blades the curators sent us were blue with gold paint stripes. We had to remove that!!
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-29-2013 at 4:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Hirsch and 2 Cherries lacquer their blades. Also,they buff their blades so much the bottom edges are rounded a bit,and have to be sanded flat to sharpen their corners. That removes the lacquer from the bottoms of them. I think I recommended just using paint stripper. DO NOT let the stripper stay on any longer than needed. It may discolor the steel. Wipe off and wash with soapy water and dry. Leave no trace of it at all.

The most offensive European thing I have seen on tools is Stubai painting everything blue. We had to make some 18th.C. reapers(Name of them has gone out of my head!!) for the agricultural program. The blades the curators sent us were blue with gold paint stripes. We had to remove that!!
    Must be somthing they do for the agriculture market. My Stubai carving tools are all either dark from the heat treating or fully polished, depending on which series they come from.
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

They may not paint chisels,but they paint augers,axes and curved adzes,and what else I don't know.I have a curved bowl adze from the 60's,and a sculptor's adze/axe that are blue.

just for future reference, the stuff sold as nail polish remover no longer has acetone in there. Nope. None. Get the real stuff from your favorite hardware store.

I've two sets of Stanley 5002's (One set being bevel edged and the other firmer chisels) from the early '70's that came with lacquered blades and yes, the lacquer gummed up my sharpening stones when I first sharpened them. I removed the lacquer using acetone and the same treatment dealt with the residue left on my oil stones. The main problem occurred when I attempted to remove the initial burr, as the lacquer permeated the surface of the stone.

Many makers still lacquer blades as a means of preventing rust prior to sale, but it's best removed asap for the sake of avoiding problems when sharpening.

Thanks everyone. George, I'm going to try the stripper. Thanks for the warning about washing the stuff off as soon as it's done it's job. Thanks again everyone. I've had these chisels for about 4 years and mainly use a set of LN's. But, I'd like to get these up to snuff, since they are a bit longer and sometimes useful. Thanks again everyone.
    Tom

Due to changes in the chemistry of strippers,I am not sure if the stripper will discolor the chisel or not. I'd advise trying a spot on the bottom of a single chisel first. If it causes discoloration,you will be lapping the bottom anyway,to get rid of the rounded buffed corners,and will have caused no damage. If the stripper causes no damage,do the rest. However,I still advise washing it off ASAP since strippers are of necessity harsh.