Thread: Need some quick help -- Ideas Please

Need some quick help -- Ideas Please

the old drop in range went up in a puff of smoke & fire last night -- no biggy, more amusing than dangerous . Anyway, LOML & I picked out a new stand alone this morning and carried it home.

The drop in has been removed and I need to cut the cabinet out for it to slide in. The bottom shouldn't be too much trouble, but I need some suggestions as to how to cut the counter top and back-splash out. The only thing I can think of is go after it with a handheld circular saw -- but thats gonna be tricky.......... IDEAS & SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

As always, Thanks for any help .........Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tony

Hmmmm... good old Stanley hand powered crosscut saw. (Neanderthal style). Don't need a power cord for this one. .02

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    I second that one! If you have to buy? The Japanese style pull style saw would be a plus.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Tony, it looks to me like, even if you go the Neander route, you're still going to damage some of the drywall back there (besides working up a lot of useless sweat!) I'd get my red machine out (Sawzall) and have at it, slide new unit in, repair drywall add a little paint and be done with it. Leaves you time and energy to pop open a cold one.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Well. Looks like you have already removed the front section, and probably got some chip out on the lamanite?
    It's a pita, but the best way is to remove the countertop, mark it on the bottom, then use your skilsaw . Then you can cut the counter top itself and the back splash easily, with no chipout. Be sure and seal up the exposed chip board. It will draw moisture if left exposed.
    Steve

Smile

I have actually done this for a friend. They moved into a new house that had a range and needed to fit a stand alone. The worktop was plastic laminate, post formed edge. We couldn't remove the top as it was tiled in on three sides. After considering all the options it was decided that a fine hardpoint saw was the answer, clamped a square of MDF to the to as a guide, took a deep breath and cut, both sides. Worked a treat

Ralph
    Did I mention it rains over here...

www.Ralphlaughton.com

And for a bit of fun:
    www.my-meccano.co.uk

Tony,

Cut as per one of the suggestions above - but cut inboard 3/8" or less if possible(depending on cutting method). Then pull out the trusty belt sander and have at it - no, it won't be easy, but it should leave a clean edge and if you are careful, not mar the paint (maybe a few layers of painters tape to make sure).
    Good luck,
    Wes

Followed all your advise........

and as always, Y'all were right.

Used a hand held jig saw to trim the opening bigger, about 1/4 each side (the opening in the first pic's was where the drop in was, slightly small). Got as close to the back-splash as I could. Then used the hand saw to cut the back-splash off ------ JOHN YOU WAS RIGHT A ROYAL PITA !! . Then as Wes suggested, cleaned it all up with the trusty belt sander. The new DeWalt is nice with the belt being flush to one side, you can get right up into the corner.

The rest was rather simple, drilled holes and used the hand held jig saw and/or the sawzall to get it out.

Waiting for my son to get off work to help me get the new one in......

As always, THANKS for your help !!!! Tony
    Tony

Alright. Sounds like you ought be up and cooking again soon!!!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico
    and as always, Y'all were right.

------ JOHN YOU WAS RIGHT A ROYAL PITA !! .
    LOL! Really, NOT laughing at you, but WITH you! And, I can, 'cuz this was the scene at our house about a week ago! I also had to install the new hood, as this was a complete relocation and went from AC to LP gas! Yup, PITA!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

It's in and we are cookin'

It's in and working......... a days work for a ??????????

Told LOML it's in and working to Get Cookin' woman and she tells me that she expects me to take her OUT for dinner cuzz of the mess I made in her kitchen !! Well, I guess that's why we luv 'em, cause we certainly can't understand them .

BTW .. We will stop by the Box tonight for a black hood ........
    Tony

Hey Tony, that turned out right nice! Good job! I will say this, though, I had better "luck" with LOML after we got her unit fired up. The built-in electric oven we had, croaked in the spring and she didn't want me to get it fixed, 'cuz of the impending LP stove going in. It took us just a "bit" longer to get that far, but once in, she cranked it up and started whipping up a nice supper for us! (Mind you, the electric stove cooktop still worked, but she was excited!) Anyhow, looks good and I'll bet LOYL will enjoy it. Well, once she gets to cooking on it!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas