Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How cold is too cold?

I'm in Seattle, we're having a pretty mild winter (saw wood ;-) but even in the worst of times, it's still warmer than some of you guys are used to. Still, it can be cold enough in my shop to see your breath. I've been doing a fair amount of work out there this winter, really for the 1st time, and one thing I've found that REALLY makes it much more pleasant is a pair of fingertip-less gloves. I made mine out of a pair of unlined leather "roping gloves" from HF, and I just can't get over how much of a difference they make. Just really makes it much more pleasant to be around/touch all the cold cast iron, etc., while still enabling the necessary fingertip dexterity. If you roll-your-own like I did, be sure to put a couple hefty stitches on each seam at the cut off ends, to keep them from unraveling. I used dental floss for that purpose.

It is not whether I can work in the cold it is a question of is it really fun. Hell no. At least not to me. I can deal with 40 ish and above for a short time but when I really have a good time and actually making something nice I like it around 55 to 65. When I was younger it may not have bothered me but now I hate the cold..

I bought one of the elec. heaters from Greenhouse super store.
    If I put it on the lowest setting the garage stays at 35º or so. I don't want it to freeze out there. I turn it up to 50º or so when I'm working out there.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

MN here, I keep the shop at about 38 degree's during the winter, I find epoxies, paints, finishes and such don't like cooler temps, even when the shop gets into the 50's.
    So I wait till the furnace has warmed the temps up to high 50's at least before doing any of that.

Humidity is a problem with static electricity at times so I humidify when necessary.
    Also working on tools like table saws, joiners and such isn't much fun when the metal is about 40 degree's.

So, depending on what I do, I work in temps of mid 50's to mid 60's.

Nice to go out and turn the thermostat up, go back in the house for a cup of coffee and come back out to a warm shop.

AL
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

You all are masochists.

Some of those MN guys actually jump in a frozen lake with thier chisels and knock out a few dovetails every winter just for fun.
    The Plane Anarchist

>>> If your glue(s) freeze they're no good anymore

Here's the word from Titebond of the subject.

Can Titebond Wood Glues Be Used After They Have Been Frozen?

Yes. While freezing is not recommended, extensive testing indicates that the
    glues can be frozen and thawed up to five times without compromising
    performance. If your glue has been frozen, let it acclimate to room temperature
    and shake/stir to original form.

CLOSE QUOTE

Of course, the adhesive, wood and air temperature must be above 55 degrees for the adhesive to dry and cure properly and attain maximum strength. TBIII can be used down to 47 degrees.

It's still best to keep the adhesive from freezing.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    >>> If your glue(s) freeze they're no good anymore

Here's the word from Titebond of the subject.

Can Titebond Wood Glues Be Used After They Have Been Frozen?

Yes. While freezing is not recommended, extensive testing indicates that the
    glues can be frozen and thawed up to five times without compromising
    performance. If your glue has been frozen, let it acclimate to room temperature
    and shake/stir to original form.

CLOSE QUOTE

Of course, the adhesive, wood and air temperature must be above 55 degrees for the adhesive to dry and cure properly and attain maximum strength. TBIII can be used down to 47 degrees.

It's still best to keep the adhesive from freezing.
    Glue kinda get thick when it's frozen. Glue is cheap. If it gets frozen I spend the $2 to get a new bottle.

I never had a problem with battery in my unheated shop. In fact my battery seem to last longer than what I read others experience on here.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

This is great info. I always keep paints, glues, etc. in the basement, so no problem. I was mainly wondering if there were inherent dangers/risks cutting and building in the cold. Haven't had any problems yet, but also haven't tried anything big.

I'm originally a Florida boy, so 10 years ago I would have thought this thread insane. Now I've acclimated and working in a 35 degree shop isn't so bad...

As for jumping in a lake - still too much Florida in me for that, in fact, I won't get in one in July!

I don't like doing being in the shop if it's below 45.
    -Dan