Thread: Gear Calculator

Gear Calculator

I found this gear calculator online and thought ya'll might get some use out of it. http://woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/template.html

Figures that would come from the guy who built the wooden adding machine. He's got some incredibly cool stuff on his website beyond the gear calculator.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I use that program to generate HPGL and import it to a CAD program for a CNC router. It works great.

However, the cuts are really slow because the program generates thousands of tiny line segments. My CNC router pauses for a short time between each segment. I get better results by approximating the imported gear profile with a few line segments per tooth. The generated tooth is still more accurate than my CNC router can cut.

Steve

It seems like a good gear calculator to me ...!!
    So thanks for sharing it here...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Takewell View Post
    I found this gear calculator online and thought ya'll might get some use out of it. http://woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/template.html
    Good site.
    Thanks for the heads up - much appreciated!

Another gear program that is even fancier can be found at: www.gearotic.com
    This program allows you to design and simulate large gear trains. You can build a virtual clock and watch it run.
    The free demo allows most all functions except saving in a CAD format. The license is $75.

Thanks for the link.. We are working on some new gear clocks, and sometimes increasing/decreasing the gears has been tricky, this will at least help with the spacing, etc.