Thread: RC-33 Delta planer purchase advice needed

RC-33 Delta planer purchase advice needed

Is $350 for a delta rc-33 planer good? From the pics on craigslist it looks to be a rockwell and maybe not a delta rockwell. My father has one and his is a 1984. So I am gussing it is between 1984 and 1987. Technically I already have one of these planers but my bother has some what nationalized it. The old saying possession is 9/10ths of the law. The planer I suposidly have is a 1988 year and looks a little different than this model. I contacted the seller and he believes he is the second owner. A cabnet shop guy had it before him. The seller used it on his house when he built it. Any and all advice is very much appreciated.

On a different note the rc-33 planer, I suposidly have, I got with a delta DJ-20 jointer on trade. I tore down a small one car size shed for a client and she give me the two machines in trade. I had $400 dollars in expensise and my labor. I feel I got a great deal.

Thanks,
    Karl Stowe

$350 for a RC/ DC 33 is a good deal, IMHO. I have a Delta 380 (15" instead of 13") that I bought from a friend a couple years back for $600.

I would think that is good, I bought a RC-33 for $200 with two extra sets of dull blades. It was a divorce sale and the guy just didn't care. I see them on ebay for up to $800 most around $600.

Well, the planer turned out to be rode hard. It is a 1984 year model, same as my father's, and it made my father's look like it was brand new. The deck had a long scratch in it from where someone put a board through with a nail in it. Behind the last roller there was a 2" long or more crack in the cast iron that went all the way through to the botom and through the vertical brace casting. At the crack the metal was pushed down about 1/32" or more and hung up the wood when pushed through. When I sent a rather cupped and distorted piece of black walnut the motor sounded rather weird. Even for $250 dollars I couldnt find myself buying it. The repairs could have been way too expensive mainly because of the way the crack in the cast iron deck was.

Thanks for the input and hope to find another one of these great planers around that was used buy someone who knew what they were doing with it.

Ouch, on the cracked planer bed! Too Bad, or the $350 would be an excellent price. With the glut of *lunch box planers* on the market, these beasts often don't bring much, even in very good condition.

The planer is unserviceable the way it is. Offer the guy $100 *for parts*! The motor is worth that! Part the machine out on eBay, at a profit! I wish I had an extra RC33 cutterhead myself, to send out and have machined with threaded holes for knife-adjusting jack screws! Hmmm....
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!