Thread: Fulton Combination Plane

Fulton Combination Plane

Just got a Fulton 5329 combination plane that I intend to try to use in my shop. I have been using individual molding planes and have never used a combination plane. Anyone have a link to a manual? Which Stanley plane is this comparable to? Is it a quality tool? Any tips for use?

Blog Entries
    It may be like the Stanley series of "Multi-Planes.

Any pictures?

The most common Stanley in this mix is the #45.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Don't have the plane in my shop yet; these are all I've got.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks to be a Sargent 1080 with an extra fence from a 1085. The 1080 was Sargent's answer to Stanley's 45, and the 1085 was the equivalent to the Stanley 55. They also made them for Sears and where yours says "FULTON" on the casting mine says "CRAFTSMAN." There are resources for them on the web. Check Alf's Cornish Workshop on how to use one. As an interesting aside, one of the manuals I found online stated that it wasn't plated with anti-corrosve nickel, but pure Cadmium. Yes, that cadmium.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan McCullough View Post
    That looks to be a Sargent 1080
    My thoughts are the same.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Forgot to mention a little heretical remark:

I think they're probably better-made and easier to use than a 45. The nicker on mine is the round, easily-resharpened washer-looking type rather than the inconvenient little cruciform buggers on the Stanley 45 or 78.