Thread: Dovetail Plane

Dovetail Plane

Take a look at the attached dovetail plane. I made this plane from a rabbet plane purchased from ebay after reading an article on Derek Cohen's web site. Plane works well and was easy to make.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Bill,

Welcome to the Creek.

That looks like a nice conversion. My curiosity is piqued. Surely others would also like to know more about your project.

A few more photos with details and description of your procedures and the choices you settled on would be appreciated by many.

My question would be is the angle shim glued to the bottom, or can that be taken off to return the plane to its original purpose?

Thanks for sharing,

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I for one would love to read more about this. Thanks in advance for the time it will take. John

I would suggest that you go directly to Derek Cohen's article on building this plane as he would do a much better job than I. The plane I made had a glued on wedge (hide glue; can be steamed off). I considered securing the wedge with screws to enable the use of a variety of angles but decided it would be too much trouble to do this as it would have neccessitated an iron regrind or a spare iron. Besides, there are a ton of these planes on ebay for cheap and I would rather have the plane sitting on the shelf ready to go rather than having to reconfigur it.
    http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...l%20Plane.html

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link and info. I just finished cutting a bunch of sliding tails myself with a saw and chisle, the whole time I was wishing I had a dovetail plane. Maybe now I will be able to bring back a sad rabbit plane that is in my box and put it to good use.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork