Thread: cleaving knife

cleaving knife

I just watched Roy Underhill's episode on making a tallow box on the Woodwright's Shop. In it he uses a cleaving knife to split the walnut he's using to make the box. This looks just like the tool I need. Where can I find one? I googled cleaving knife, but didn't come up with any useful info.
    Thanks

Try searching on "froe".

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Donna,

On his knife there does appear to be a trade mark or some writing.

At first my thoughts were that this might have been a tool he made from an old planer blade. That would not be hard to do.

Then doing a quick search, Google is your friend, for > two handle cleaver < gave many replies. One is for Shop Wiki dot com. They have different knives with handles at either end for cutting cheese wheels. Starting price is about $20.

More search and casting a narrower net did not result in much. His may actually be an inexpensive hobbyist draw knife.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

An old tool not seen much anymore is a Knife Froe, used for splitting or riving dowel blanks for a dowel plate and other small splitting operations.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Here is one from Japan Woodworker: http://kitchen.japanwoodworker.com/p...&dept_id=13218

Another small one available is from Lee Valley:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...t=1,51222&ap=1

Patrick

I found the one I was looking for at Lee Valley. It's called a pushknife!
    Thanks everyone!

I own the hacking knife from Lee Valley that Patrick linked to. Cheap price, and I don't kill any of my good knives in the process for what this knife is used for.