Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to Buy quality router bits,at fair price.

Where to Buy quality router bits,at fair price.

Looking to buy a couple of router bits. Maybe a small set. I currently have a 1/4" set that is cheap and wish to get some nicer bits. Is it better to but 1/2 bits?? Where are a couple of places to look?

Thanks

I highly recommend the Whiteside router bits...They are pricey...They carry them at Woodcraft and other quality woodworking stores. You wont find them at the BORG. I dont know if they sell a real nice set in terms of variety. Usually, I just buy a few a time as money allows, now I have a real nice set of them.

Best of Luck,

John G

+1 on the Whiteside
    also highly recommended is Eagle America which is a sponsor of SMC
    History teaches us that both men and nations behave wisely,
    once they have exhausted all other alternatives~~Abba Eban

Go to www.Holbren.com
    A SMC advertiser and they carry Whiteside.
    Discount code SMC10

Admin: Myk, Sorry, Holbren isn't an advertiser here but Eagle America is.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-17-2010 at 4:18 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

+1 for Holbren

Have ordered numerous times from them without any problems.

I buy Whiteside bits, there is also a discount code offered to members of the creek. I don't remember it, but it can be found easily by doing a search. That is how I have to find it every time I order.

Also, I rarely ever buy 1/4" shank bits anymore. Less vibration and gives me piece of mind since I broke a 1/4" shank bit years ago. It was a cheap bit....not a Whiteside.

Josh
    Last edited by Josh Rudolph; 01-17-2010 at 9:35 AM.

I really like the Eagle bits, the price is good and the quality is very good also.

I do not recommend getting sets of bits, I like to get what I need and this way I don't have a ton of bits setting around that I will never use.

The only reason I have any 1/4 inch bits is because I have a Bosch Colt and that is all it will handle. 1/2 are much better they do not vibrate as much and are stronger.

Blog Entries
    I've had good service from Routerbitworld.com. They have several of the better brands at good prices.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I won't recommend any specific brand but make overall comments. I use 1/2" shank bits unless the profile is need is only in 1/4". I don't buy sets as you will have bits that never get used. Conversely, if I find profiles I use a lot (ex. 1/4" roundover) in a good bit for a good price I will buy backups; if you are going to order one bit that you know you will use a lot ordering two for the same shipping may be the route to go. Also if you find a good service (someone who has the tools, is knowledgeable and shipping won't eat you up) it may pay to have some sharpened. Sharpening may alter the profile enough on some bits it's not the thing to do but if the sharpening service is doing their job they will either let you know or return the bit. Even if the profile is altered a bit it usually won't make a difference unless you are looking for an exact match to existing work.
    And now for something completely different....

Thumbs up

Infinity sells quality fair priced router bits, and they're having an overstock sale on 'em right now.

Link: Overstock Router Bits

Redheads are like other women – only more so

Most of Eagle's bits are made by Whiteside according to what Eagle and Whiteside told me three years ago. That may have changed in the interim.

Whiteside bits from Holbren or Eagle America bits from Eagle America would be my suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Williams View Post
    Whiteside bits from Holbren or Eagle America bits from Eagle America would be my suggestions.
    +1 for both.

For superior quality I buy ONLY Whiteside or Freud, the latter exclusively IF they have the profile in quadra cutter.

For a profile I may use once and not critical I suggest the price cutter bits from Eagle not as good as their high line bit but their high line bits are about the same price as Whiteside amd Freud and not on the same quality level.

Whiteside makes a 10 piece essential router bit set white is an excellent place to start BUT it is not cheap BUT remember good router bits can be sharpened many times and ultimately cost less than cheap ones in the long run for bits you use often.

1/4" only if the profile does not come in 1/2" you learn really quickly when the cutter flies off a broken 1/4" shaft!

Whiteside's classic multi-form router bit is an excellent way to get a lot (40+) profiles with one (although not cheap) bit. This bit is ONLY for use in a router table, it is HUGE.

I generally buy Whitesides bits from Routerbits.com but I also buy Freud bits at Home Depot when I need one NOW. Like others, I buy 1/2" shank bits unless the profile I need is only in 1/4" shank and I buy bits as I need them versus sets. The only set I have is a Whitesides Cabinetmaker's set with raised panel, cope & stick, glue joint bits.

I have a few 1/4" Viper bits that I bought before I discovered Whitesides and a few Bosch bits that I got when I needed one quickly before HD started carrying Freud bits.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

While I now am a convert to Whiteside bits, I still think that it's a good idea for a newbie to buy an inexpensive set of carbide tip bits from ebay or some other place. I'm talking about the yellow or blue Chinese bits with 1/2 shanks that sell for prices ranging between 30-80 bucks per set.

Why? It's in inexpensive education. It allows one to learn which bits they're gonna use most often. Then, once they know that, buy good bits. For occasional use some of the profiles in the cheap bits will work for quite some time.

The first high quality bits that I recommend that a person buy are solid carbide spiral straight bits in various diameters.

My two cents.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Blog Entries
    Brian at Holbren has been treating me right for years. Whiteside are my favorite and not really expensive at all. I have Whiteside profiles that have outlasted "inexpensive" bits of the same profile 4 to one; do the math. Freud and Amana have also worked well for me. Oddly enough, I seem to have worn out a lot of the cheaper bits even though I hadn't run them as long.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler