Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Miter Guage?

Which Miter Guage?

I am in need of a quality aftermarket miter guage that isn't going to break my bank. I think I have it narrowed down to two models but other suggestions are welcome. I have it between the Incra Miter 1000SE or the Kreg Precision Miter Guage system. I like the price of the Kreg a little better but am concerned with the miter bar adjustments. Don't know exactly what is being used to tighten the fit between the slot and bar. I think I like the Incra a bit better but have never seen either one of these in person and have no basis for comparison. For that matter I haven't seen any aftermarket miter guage system in person therefore have zero experience with them. Very green when it comes to these very handy accessories.

Just sick of my Ridgid R4511 stock miter guage and seem to always be adjusting for a perfect cut due to the poor miter bar adjustablity to the slot. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've got the 1000SE and it works perfectly. Other than the stock gauges that came with my Craftsman and Shopsmith, I haven't used another brand.

You might want to consider the Osborne EB-3. About $109 at some places.
    http://www.osbornemfg.com/close-up.htm
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have the Jessem and am very pleased with it............Rod.

+1 on the JessEm

I also have the 1000SE and it works great.

-Gary

I have a Kreg and it has been great for me. The miter bar adjusts with nylon screws that are threaded side to side with-in the bar itself. It is very smooth w/o being "tight". It is solid as all of the other Kreg stuff I have.

+1 on the Jessem. I have been using for years now. I still marvel at the craftsmanship.

Was checking out the Osborne and that thing looks interesting. Around the same price as the others, if not a bit cheaper. Has anyone had hands-on experience with this guage?

Has anyone ever done the 5 cut method on the Osborne, to see how accurate it actually is?
    -Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    Was checking out the Osborne and that thing looks interesting. Around the same price as the others, if not a bit cheaper. Has anyone had hands-on experience with this guage?
    I have one and love it.
    Paul

+1 on the Jessem , may seem pricey but yull be glad u spent that little bit in the first place instead of regretting it

I recently got the Incra 1000HD (Dec. 09), and it looks like it is going to be a nice miter gauge. The Incra 1000HD has 180 indents for stops.
    I watched the prices on the Osborne EB3, the Incra 1000SE, and the Incra 1000HD for several weeks. Got the 1000HD for $120.00 from Amazon with free shipping.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

+1 for the INCRA Miter SE.

These things are really like different flavors of ice cream, though. Everyone has their fave. You gotta try them for yrself.

I've got the Incra 1000HD (on sale at $129) and it is great. I'd say shop around and find it on sale. My major concern was that with 180 indents they might get worn down over time and loose accuracy. But after using it, this thing is made well I can see it lasting a long time.