Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Miter Guage?

The Incra V27 has got to be the best bang for the buck, but overall I like the Osborne EB-3 better...very nice fence.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I've also got the Osborne EB-3. It works great but I haven't ever used anything else except the stock miter gauges. I've never done a 5-cut method with it either...never saw the need.

I think Shawn is right, in that they are all good and it's more a matter of finding the one that suits you best.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

A vote for the 1000 SE here.

I love this one but have not used the others which I am sure are good tools as well.

All I can say is what ever your choice, it will be way better than the stock one that came with your saw.

Happy shopping.

I think I like the Incra fence a bit better than the Osborne. It doesn't seem as though you could add an auxillary fence to the Osborne as easily as the Incra. The Incra looks to have a T-Track type mounting system on the face of the fence. This would be very helpfull for preventing chip-out on the back side of the cut.

The only real difference between the 1000SE and 1000HD is the miter head itself right? The HD has more detents/stops for more angles? I just can't see ever needing all those different angle possibilities. Does anyone really deal with that many angles in crosscuts?

The Jessem looks great but I just can't afford to throw another $100 down for a miter guage. Times are tuff and work is slim at the moment.

You should have posted a poll. This is one of those "I like" questions. I like the Jessem.

Talking

I found the Incra HD1000 for $99.00 at Rockler, on black friday. I have to say it is an amazing piece of equipment. For the first time in a long time, It even made my 30+ year old Craftsman TS act as if it were a precision machine. Count me in as a believer!
    If I am what I eat, then I must be FAST, EASY and CHEAP!

1000 SE here. I'd buy it again.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I have the 1000SE with Miter Express and like it alot. I am pretty sure the HD is about the same with more indents. Download the mitergage broshure(link top left) and on page 7 there is a comparison chart. If you are on a budget the V27 can't be beat
    https://www.incrementaltools.com/Articles.asp?ID=157

I have an osbourne and I am happy with it and it cuts great but The adjustment on the bar is not the best. You just tighten two screws down and it flexes the bar outwards to snug up in the slot. Mine has run out of flex and I think it needs to be a little more snug I have never used the incra but I am looking at getting one because of all the extras that you can add to it.

+1 on the Osborne EB-3. I've had mine for about a year and a half and it is one of the "go to" tools in my shop when accuracy is paramount.

It's easy to adjust, rock-solid in the miter groove, and has a nice extending arm for larger-piece repeat cuts.

I think, for the money, it can't be beat.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

I have the Incra 1000SE and have no cpmplaints. I think any model you decide on will be a tremendous improvement. There are some good prices out there right now on several models.

Blog Entries
    I have the Kreg miter gauge and really like it. It was easy to set up and has been highly accurate. I like how you can move the cross bar to the left or right side easily so the miter gauge works on the right side of the blade as well as the left.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have a incra 1000hd only because it was cheaper $99, than the SE at the time. I really like it, it is better than any other miter guage I have ever used. But I have never used a kreg, osborne or jessem. With any of those I dont think you can go wrong.

+1 on the Osborne EB-3

Love it....
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Vote here for the 1000HD...$99 at rockler. I use it everyday and sometimes wonder how I got along without it.