Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which Miter Guage?

Another vote for the Osborne.
    Only complaint is there not being a pointer or something on the flip stop for the tape measure.

I'm....uh....also...um...glad it's made of metal so that my Sawstop can't....er...damage/hurt it when the blade makes contact with it....was nary a scratch on it after....sheesh!
    Last edited by Brian Penning; 02-05-2010 at 10:43 PM.

I rarely used the miter gauge that came with my Delta saw. JUNK! I got an Incra V27 for Christmas and threw away my shop made sledafter a couple days of using thhe gauge.

Great buy for the money.

Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

I really like that Osborne, I wonder if I can get a metric tape for it?
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

+1 for the Incra 1000HD. I would have probably bought the SE, but I got the HD for $99 at Rockler. I plan to get the Incra Miter Express Miter Sled to go with my 1000HD.
    Last edited by Jeremy Killingbeck; 02-06-2010 at 9:01 AM.

I have the EB-3 and a V-27....

I use the EB-3 the most and will only use the V27 for small stuff. I also use the V-27 on the Band saw, router table and the my sander.

I had a 1000 for about a week and sold it, just was not a very good feeling gauge, To me it was very bulky and not very fast to set up and change. Every time you made a 45 you have to reset it again.

I have done the 5 cuts and set the EB-3 to spot on. The only thing that I have done to the EB-3 is move the stop to the other side of the block it mounts on. This keeps the flex down when using it.

Some other threads you may want to look at.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...highlight=EB-3

I've had an Osborne EB 3 for probably 8 years, and it's the only one I use now.
    It's accurate and easy to adjust if it ever goes out (like if some idiot drops it) and the price today is a relative bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    I have an osbourne and I am happy with it and it cuts great but The adjustment on the bar is not the best. You just tighten two screws down and it flexes the bar outwards to snug up in the slot. Mine has run out of flex and I think it needs to be a little more snug I have never used the incra but I am looking at getting one because of all the extras that you can add to it.
    The Incra may not work either. Amount of adjustment is limited. You should be able to fix yours. Call Osborne. You might try grinding the tip off of the screws. This would allow you to screw them in further. But call Osborne first.

I also have Incra miter gauges. I have the Miter 1000SE and the Miter Express with the Miter 3000SE. Neither will last for 80 years, but they are good enough for non-commercial shop. Both are very accurate and the Incra people are great to work with. Dont know anything about the Kreg, but am curious if any one has used it and how it worked

Norm uses it

+1 for the Osborne

Accurate, Fast common angle changes, Quick change from left to right of the blade, has a T-Track on the top for extra's you may want to add. Telescoping for longer pieces.

Oh and the biggest reason ..... Norm uses it !!!!!! (just happened to notice during a rerun)

10. Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post

Just sick of my Ridgid R4511 stock miter guage and seem to always be adjusting for a perfect cut due to the poor miter bar adjustablity to the slot. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    If your miter guage is sloppy in the slots, you can peen it with a center punch to create craters on the sides of the bar. The craters, complete with raised edges, make the bar just a bit wider.

If you're looking for a new miter guage anyway...... I recently went through this myself. I'll soon be building all new door and drawer fronts for my kitchen, using mitered frames for the raised panel doors. So for me, absolute accuracy and absolute repeatability were absolutely necessary.

Any of the Incra guages will give you the repeatability fresh out of the box. None of them are likely to be dead-on accurate right out of the box -- and there is no method to micro-adjust the angle setting. Instead, you need to loosen the head from the bar, set it to your best guess (using a good square of course), and tighten it back up. Not optimum, but quite effective once you get it right.

The same is true for the Kreg.

I thought I'd be impressed with the Jessem, since it has a method for adjusting to a half-degree. But the only one that the local Woodcraft had was "loose". After inserting the angle-setting pins, you need to (as usual) tighten the knob -- but there was at least 1degree of slop prior to that tightening -- so it was impossible to know for sure that the angle I had set was actually the angle that "took". And for almost $300, that's unacceptable to me.

Me? I tuned up my sliding miter saw, and am getting perfect 45's there. I added a t-slot fence to my table saw miter guage, which already had a method of micro-adjusting the 90 and 45 settings.