Thread: Mini Max Jointer Planer Thoughts

Mini Max Jointer Planer Thoughts

One of the local woodworkers asked me about a Mini Max jointer planer (FS 35) because I have an older Inca jointer planer. Truth is I know nothing about the old one for sale but do think it's likely highly overpriced. Are these old units worth 2K?

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tls/3501921013.html

Looks pretty cherry to me. Appears to have the mortising unit, too, which is a bonus. You'd have to be OK with the American-style cutterhead (if your Inca has the Tersa head...) but you could always get a Byrd head if that was an issue. I don't get involved in used machine pricing but will say that I have seen FS35's more beat than that one sell for higher. Best of luck, whatever you decide to do.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Well it is in Excertiomally good condition...

Rich

I bought the same model earlier this year for $750. It was originally listed for $900, but the owner had already purchased new Hammer and believe me it was a very small shop in a basement. Mine does not look as "exceptional" as that one and does not have the mortiser. It does look very good however and it was professionally repainted more to a powermatic gold color. Also about 6 weeks after the start capacitor went out and I went ahead and replaced the bearings for another $200. It has a 3 hp Baldor motor, so well worth fixing. So I have about $950 plus $75 in gas to get it. I feel mine is easily worth about $1500, but does not have the mortise attachment. If I was selling I would ask for $2000. The only mechanical negative I could find on these machines was the switch. Mine had been replaced with an industrial on-off switch. The on line manual will only give you the basics (about 4 or 5 pages), but it is not hard to figure out the adjustments. As mentioned above it does not have the Tersa knives. Mine did come with a MiniMax knife setting jig. I haven't had to change them yet as I have only run about 400 board feet and they are still sharp. I went from a 6 inch Delta 1 hp to this and what a difference. I am able to join and plane wide boards. I have a Dewalt 735 which I will keep for small things, but the planer is a lot faster on the MiniMax. Chip collection is good, but not excellent on the MiniMax. I am not sure on parts for these machines, but can't see much going wrong. If mine would have been listed for $2000 I would not have bought it, however I am very satisfied with mine and glad I did buy it.

So I would say the asking price is a fair starting place on the above machine because I have one know the capabilities and limitations. That's his asking price, but maybe not his selling price. I am guessing there would be a market for the mortiser if you didn't want that feature and could sell the attachment.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Well it is in Excertiomally good condition...
    I thought Craigslist had spell check attached to it.