Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Rebuild

Glad to hear you're ok and glad that your shop is recovering. You're doing beautiful work. Equally glad to hear that they caught her and that justice is taking its course. Having been severely injured by a drunk idiot driver (hit me head-on at 70mph on a highway), I hope that they throw the book at her and give you, the Jet, and the shop the justice you all deserve! Somehow I doubt that anybody that drives drunk in a stolen vehicle will care too much about the $55,000 debt hanging over her though!

Once it is fully rebuilt and re-stocked you need to post some pics of the interior.

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    Jeff, thanks for bringing up something I never thought of. You mean if I decorate my property with rocks/boulders I can be in trouble if someone, going way over the speed limit, runs onto my property?
    A highway style crash barrier could be seen as a non-permitted structure which was specifically designed to cause damage to a vehicle - more damage than would have been incurred if it wasn't there. Like you said, they drove away. You might have seen someone become seriously injured if the barrier was in place making you partly at fault because you placed it there expecting that someone would hit it.

In law it sounds like: "but for the defendant's actions, my client wouldn't have been injured"

Placement of a highway barrier might not be a good idea. Placement of a hulking bunch of landscape boulders and trees/bushes allows you some other reason for it's placement. Landscaping, rocks, trees, a berm would not be out of the ordinary for a residence and an insurance adjuster wouldn't look twice at landscaping.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

David,
    One of my customers that lives on a dangerous curve in a house that has been hit twice, had an engineer design a fence with 6 x 6 posts 4 feet in the ground, 6 feet oc, with 2 x 6 pickets and long overlapping 2 x 6 rails that were designed to slow a car down and absorb impact energy. It also looked somewhat normal from the street, but was setback farther than normal, so it wouldn't be hit unless the car was way off the road headed for the house.
    We also lined the road with reflectors and a row of hedges. The reflectors have needed to be replaced several times in a few years.
    HTH

Jeff

I think I like the idea of boulders. More trees would shade my orchard. Don't think I want a massive fence in the area though that sounds like it might work. As I think I stated before, the speed limit going past my shop is 15mph. It is normally a very quiet country road. Since this is the only such occurrence in 80 years of the building's existence it may just be a moot point.