Thread: Help with cabinet doors

Post Help with cabinet doors

I am in the process of building a kitchen pantry for a guy at work. It is 5' wide X 7' tall. It is going to have 3 shelves with 2' between them. It will be built in two modules because of the size. It will have two doors on each module, top door will be 25" X 26" and bottom will be 25" X 50". The problem is I can not use glued up panels for the center of the doors because they weigh too much. The customer likes a slab type door, so I was thinking about using 1/2" plywood. I am not sure what type of design to use for the framework of the doors. It will be 3/4" oak. I am sure somebody else out there has run into the same problem. I am open for suggestions.
    Thanks

Big slab doors are a fine application for torsion-box construction. You can make doors which are lightweight, flat, and which will stay flat over time.

You may already have torsion-box doors in your home. They're called hollow-core doors, and they work well. For furniture, you don't use those standard hollow-core doors. Instead, you make your own to the dimensions you need. Search this forum for info on torsion boxes, or google the web, or look for magazine articles about them.

i was told by steve!

i am in the process of making some cabs as well and have a 82" pantry that is 46 wide //he told me to make them in 4 door units two on top and and two on the bottm total of 8drs. am not aware of the torsion idea but am intrested in findiong out more on that so if you get a site or more info please pass it along my way. steve clardy from here told me the 8door solution.
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

Larry,
    I don't know if this will work, try this site.http://www.woodmangler.com/Kitchen%2...n%20Doors.html
    This is what I am going to do. I'll post when finished
    Scott

On the 50" tall doors

Just use 4 hinges per door. Use 3 hinges on the upper doors. Weight won't be a problem then.
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Clardy; 10-25-2004 at 7:12 PM. Reason: add pic