Thread: antler

antler

Hi all
    I am looking for a good online source for deer and elk antler. I would like to try my hand at turning bottle stoppers and pens out of it. It would be nice if I knew any hunters but I don't. So I have to go this route. Thanks for the help. bob

Smile

Bob, I have sent you a PM.

I'm hoping to see more responses as I'd also like to find a good source or 2.

I would suggest that you locate a deer processor in your area. Hunters don't normally keep the rack from the smaller bucks that are processed, and those would be about right for pens. It will take some pretty good racks to produce large enough pieces for stoppers, and the elk antler may be a better choice. They are not cheap to buy, but one could get a lot of material from one good elk antler.

The Jackson Hole auction every year is where a lot of elk antler originates, but it is bought up mostly by wholesalers as I understand it. I inquired one year when we were visiting, and the indications were that it was very difficult to buy against the mass bidders - but, I really have no personal knowledge of that.