Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: NEW - Sweet Heart Plane, disappointing

Well George, to be fair, Stanleys aren't American, theyre made in Mexico and the blades are from the UK. Just because the fat cats reaping the profits from a poorly manufactured item are in America, doesn't make the item American in my book. When I want to buy American hand tools, I buy LN or Blue Spruce or another that is actually manufactured in the US. Sorry to hear about your engraving machine....I would check the paperwork and see if it actually is manufactured in the US, likely not I would bet....
    That which does not kill you will likely raise your insurance premiums.

I started woodworking in high school shop class, it was an effort in frustration.

Squares that weren't, planes and chisels that were so dull they were uncontrollable, and back saws that were missing teeth or bent.

It was so difficult to make a board flat, square and parallel that I almost gave up.

My father was an electrician so he didn't have many wood working tools, however he only bought very good tools. He couldn't afford to do otherwise.

He had a couple of planes, some chisels, saws etc, and he set out to help me with my shop class problem project.

I was amazed, a plane could cut in a repeatable manner, a chisel could actually pare a shaving off, as opposed to hacking off a ragged hunk of wood.

The experience developed a life long love of wood working, and a love of good tools and machinery.

My father in law is a retired master cabinetmaker who spent most of his life in England. He has a fantastic collection of high quality hand tools.

I was admiring a bull nose plane of his and remarked how nice it was. His response was that it should be, it was many days wages when he served his apprenticeship.

I think that was Mike's point, that a good plane would be in the $300 range today simply because of the costs of designing and making a quality product. Notice that it has become less expensive, it's no longer days of wages, it's hours of wages for a tradesman.

When I began woodworking as an adult, it was a hobby, however I tried to purchase quality tools, even if I had to save for months to buy a set of chisels.

So yes, people who are just starting out buying wood working tools probably are surprised to contemplate spending $30 on one chisel, however they would also be surprised to find that I spend that and more, on a pair of Klein pliers, as opposed to the budget crap.

10 years of industrial use later, my Klein pliers work like new, and I tend not to lose them because I'd have to cough up another $30 or $40 for a new pair.

I haven't regretted spending more on tools, I've only regretted spending less.

Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    IWhat puzzles me is that the reviewer said that the BU # 62 low angle jack plane couldn't be made to take an even shaving the full width of the blade "Because the bed wasn't fully machined across its width." Ridges were left on the sides of the bed,apparently .0025" high.

[snip]

If so,is Stanley so incredibly mismanaged as to send a defective plane to a major magazine for evaluating to the World?????

[snip]

I just find it hard to believe that no one at Stanley bothered to LOOK at the samples they sent. If that is the case for such an important occasion, I am left wondering what kind of fouled up planes would the average customer get sent?

[snip]
    I think that if it was ever discovered that the marketing department at Stanley did not send out a random sample for review and instead sent out a "specially adjusted" copies to the reviewers, they would deserve more criticism than they have already garnered.

The particular plane in question should never have been put into a box at the factory that made it. The bigger problem is it would not surprise me to find that this is representative sample of what buyers should expect if they buy one of the new Stanley planes.

The problem is the infinite quest to knock every penny out of production costs. When lowering the cost of manufacturing is more important than assuring the quality of the product, the product will reflect this choice.

When a corporation wants wage slaves instead of thinking workers, they will have workers who will keep their heads down and not rock the boat by calling attention to a glaring problem.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Rob, my that was and electrician, and I still have the 2 Klein pliers he gave me 20 years ago and they are the best pliers out there! And I'm with you on good quality tools, and that include good vintage tools as well.

Quote Originally Posted by David Gendron View Post
    Rob, my that was and electrician, and I still have the 2 Klein pliers he gave me 20 years ago and they are the best pliers out there! And I'm with you on good quality tools, and that include good vintage tools as well.
    Thanks David, and yes I like good vintage tools as well. I recently acquired a 100 year old Stanley #7C plane for use in the shop.......Rod.

My point is that if an American company is taking the responsibility to have these items made,they should also take care that their products are properly made.

I was well aware that the Stanley planes were made in Mexico,and the blades in England.

After the frustrating episode we had with the engraving machine,and their sloppy customer service,I am out of patience and sympathy with American manufacturers who do not stay on top of their responsibilities to the customers they wish would buy their products.

I think my post was perfectly fair in those regards.

I have also gone to buying Hondas after my Ford van required a new power steering pump,new tie rods,new window raising motors,computer replacements,and other repairs I can't even recall,at 55,000 miles. Even the original equipment General tires came apart like retreads. I had a friend tell me that he lost 4 General tires on 1 trip because they flew apart.

It is too bad that we are being out worked by other countries because of poor management,greed,etc..

Obviously,there are a few very small makers in the USA who make fine products,stay on top of quality control,and give good customer service. Regrettably,they seem to be in the minority. My wife and I are small manufacturers of jewelry. Every piece is carefully put together and inspected. If there is ever a problem,we ship out a replacement at once,no questions asked. That is how you keep your customers and expand through good word of mouth.

Wee,too,have to buy some foreign components,such as stones. They are carefully selected for size,color,and no damage when they are put into our jewelry.
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-18-2010 at 5:23 PM.