Thread: Delta X5 Jointer

Delta X5 Jointer

Does anyone have any experience wit the delta x5 6" jointer. One for sale used locally for $450. Pictures look nearly brand new and it is on a mobile base. Are the any good and how does this deal sound? Or I can get a Ridgid 6" for $250 used in pretty good shape. How do the two compare and which would you choose? Thanks !!!
    Last edited by Tullie Templet; 02-11-2010 at 12:50 AM.

While I can't compare it to the Ridgid, I used to have the X5 before upgrading to the Hammer A3-31. For the 3 years I used it, I only had one issue. On the first unit I had, I couldn't get the tables to be coplanar. Delta sent a new head and after that it worked great. I hope this helps.
    Matt

I have one, and really like it...my only problem with it is I wish the tables were longer. But then, it wouldn't fit in my shop.

Sorry, the delta....
    Paul

The Delta is a good jointer, but not significantly better than the Ridgid. Amazon had blow out prices on the Delta a few years ago for $322 shipped with a free mobile base, so $450 isn't a real hot deal. The Delta also has the rack and pinion fence adjuster, which works well but takes up additional space.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I had one of those jointers - got it during the big Amazon sale. I liked it and it worked fine. Sold it a year ago and replaced it with an 8" Grizzly only because I wanted more table.

I can't compare it to the Rigid because I never had a Rigid. I think 450 price for a used one is too high for the Delta.

I can't compare it to the Rigid either, but I had a 6" X5 for a while. It worked great but I upgraded to an 8" Shop Fox for the extra width and length. $450 is high IMO for a used one. I think I sold mine to a fellow SMC'er for around $300.

A little high for the used X5 but I've had mine for about 4 years and love it.

Get a great price and you have a heck of a gloat....

Good luck.. Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

I had an X5 for a couple of years before upgrading to a Shopfox 8". The X5 is an excellent jointer, but $450 used does sound a bit high.

I also had an X5. It was my first jointer and served me well. I sold it when I upgraded to an 8" jointer, about 6 months ago. I sold it for $350 with a mobile base and 3 extra sets of knives. It was in excellent condition when I sold it as I am only a hobbyist, so $450 seems a little high

I have had both and I would get the Ridgid for the money.

I have that one, too. I think the fit and finish on it is lacking. Rough castings, bad paint job, etc. I'd save for an 8" Grizzly, instead.

I had the X5 with mobile base. It was my first jointer, and worked well. It's well made. I sold mine, with the mobile base, for $375 and was excited to get that much. FWIW, I paid about that much for a PM60 that needed to be cleaned up and have a VFD installed. For $250, I'd grab it. For $450, I'd wait a bit and buy an 8 inch jointer.

The jointer is one of the most upgraded tools. If you are willing to spend $450, then I think for a pinch more you can get an 8 inch jointer, and not havae to deal with upgrades and losing extra sets of knives, etc.

$450 is too much for a used X5. Many sold for that price or less on sale.

Thanks for all the replies but today I ran into a DW 735 for $250 new at home depot so my jointer budget got cut in half. I think I will go with the ridgid when I do buy one. That is actually what I was looking for today but none of the Home Depots would match the $199 clearance. Thanks for all the replies !!!!