Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My "private" lumber yard... my first gloat!!

My "private" lumber yard... my first gloat!!

Ok guys & gals, I can't keep this a secret anymore! Well, the location will be kept a secret!

Good friend of mine and his gf decide to move in together. The rent a house on a fairly large lot. Lot has a few detatched buildings. One of the detatched buldings has two stories, second floor of this building his FILLED with stacks upon stacks of rough lumber!!! There is Poplar, White Pine, Yellow Pine, Fir, Oak and hard Maple! Best part... my friend tells me to take it all!!! Get rid of it he says! His landlord says it's all his, do whatever he wants with it!

I havent touched the oak yet, but I have used the maple and poplar. Haven't found any figured maple yet, but the maple I have found is pretty nice! So far I've made my daughter's drawing table, my step-sons Bakugan display case, and have a whole ton of other projects on the list! Not to mention, I have co-workers willing to pay top $$ for different things!

Went there yesterday to get some white pine for the fish tank stand LOML wants, and found a whole stack of Oak (that's what made me think to finally post this!)!

Ok... I'm done now (I think!)

Dave, that's awesome! Almost as good as finding a muscle car covered with a tarp in a barn somewhere. Congrats!

Great find for you, and a pretty generous friend to boot! But consider whether all the facts are straight. Do you truly have permission from the owner to take the wood, and does he/she know the value of the wood in the barn. I'd be concerned that once the owner finds out that there is valuable wood being taken, he'll expect payment! Be sure to get it in writing - and offer something in return (perhaps a nice piece of furniture made from all that wood).

TANSTAAFL! (any Heinlein fans out there?)

If it has been offered I'd get it ALL out of there before the landlord changes his mind!

Good score!

Dave, I appreciate and understand your concern. I know for a fact it is ok to take the lumber, I do not want to disclose the full reason, because it may help reveal the location, but let's just say the buildings on the property won't be there forever!

I have offered to make a furniture piece for them, but they are not interested. They say their home is too cluttered already! I may just ignore that and make them something anyway!

Aaron, I am trying my best to get as much as possible! We have 4 kids at home, and I have limited "preferrable" storage spots for the lumber, so not the easiest task!

Dave, In that case - SCOOOOOORE! good for you for doing the due diligence to make sure it's all on the up and up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gaul View Post

Aaron, I am trying my best to get as much as possible! We have 4 kids at home, and I have limited "preferrable" storage spots for the lumber, so not the easiest task!
    I got an opportunity to get a bunch of cheap wood (not free like you).
    80% of my garage is full now :lol: It stinks to have to scrape the cars in the morning, but I probably have a lifetime supply of wood now.
    I'd grab it all now. Even if you have to take over the garage for awhile while you sort it. At bare minimum, grab all the oak and maple. My fear is that someday the building will be knocked down, and they may not warn you. It would be a shame if all that wood went to the landfill.

Could you build a shed on your lot with some of that pine? Just something to store the wood in?

Get all the good stuff 1st (cherry, maple, etc) and then go back for the cheap stuff (pine). I'd stick it anywhere I could until the LOML told me that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    Get all the good stuff 1st (cherry, maple, etc) and then go back for the cheap stuff (pine). I'd stick it anywhere I could until the LOML told me that's enough.
    You can stack some behind the couch!
    that way it will be aclimated when you need it

Behind the couch, under the bed, in the back of every closet, in the attic (?), in the garage....plenty of places to hide your gloat!

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Harry View Post
    Behind the couch, under the bed, in the back of every closet, in the attic (?), in the garage....
    ...in my garage...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sharpe View Post
    TANSTAAFL! (any Heinlein fans out there?)

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. Heinlein fan? Not really. But it's common knowledge amongst right-wing and libertarian(ish) gun nuts. I know this because...I once knew a gun nut.
    Last edited by Jeff Willard; 02-08-2010 at 8:18 PM.

That's one lucky gloat.

One of these days I want to find an estate sale that has a barn full of lumber for my taking.

If I didn't have storage, it would justify me to make a shed to store it. heh

Arrrrggghhh!!! That's great! I grew up in Sinking Spring and now live in Las Vegas where I can't find any decent lumber to save my butt.

Lived on a farm where the entire woods behind the house was nothing but black walnut. Would love to be back there now that I'm doing woodworking.

Dave, you are in luck! I just built a new lumber rack and have no lumber on it! There is plenty of room for whatever you want to send down.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.