Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: barn saved, near Philly

Blog Entries

barn saved, near Philly

Hi guys,
    Brand new to this forum... I'm so impressed with the level of knowledge and the nice/courteous vibe here. I hope I can become a contributor as I learn more.

Background:
    I'm drawn to woodworking.. I work a desk job, but really enjoy working with my hands more. Unfortunately, I haven't had a lick of training ever. None. Also, I didn't have a place to work. And I didn't have any idea how to build anything.

Solution:
    Decided to save my barn to create a place to work. That took about a year.
    Signed up for a week long woodworking course from a local master woodworker (that's coming in April).
    After the course, when I have a better feel for what to look for, I will begin to accumulate tools to fill up my shop.
    And in the meantime, I'm soaking up knowledge from folks like yourselves.

Here's the barn, I hope you like it (edit: Please note that the website shows you a rough blue print.. the area titled "Car parking" is actually where all the woodworking equipment will be.. the area titled "workshop" is more of a household/general purposes workshop):
    http://rieferbarn.shutterfly.com/
    Last edited by Bob Riefer; 02-12-2010 at 12:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Looks like a great place for a shop. Wish I had that much space. And welcome to the Creek.

Welcome to a long standing tradition and art of woodworking, and welcome to Sawmill Creek. I too pilot a desk all day long, but love building and fixing things... Congrats on the week long course. I was going to suggest that if your community college has continuing ed, or adult ed classes on woodworking, sign up! A lot of 2 year institutions do have those classes, unfortunately none that I am in district for, but that is a completely separate lament...

As far as learning techniques goes, you should do it in this order...

#1. Learn the SAFE way to do the job.
    #2. Learn the effective way to do the job.
    #3. Learn the fancy way to do the job...

Yeah there is a lot more to it than that, but hopefully you get the idea.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the welcome :-) SOOO much to learn, but if barn saving taught me one thing, it's that you are capable of anything if you set your mind to it, open yourself to learning, and are willing to fail on the path to success.

Here's the course I'm taking in April, would love to hear thoughts on it:

http://www.jdlohrwood.com/services.htm

Right now, knowing nothing, my long term goal with the space and with woodworking is to be able to make simple country style furniture that I can use in my own house or for friends/family. And if I ever gain enough skill to sell pieces to help support the hobby, gravy.

Oh, and I want to keep all my fingers, toes, eyes, etc. too
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

As a lover of old buildings, it looked great to see you save that barn. I would love a place like that for a woodworking shop.
    As for classes; start with hand tools first. This way you have a great understanding of what the power tools are doing. A tablesaw is just a handsaw with a motor; something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    Oh, and I want to keep all my fingers, toes, eyes, etc. too
    While you are at it, don't forget about the ears and the lungs... :-D
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

nice... was that an outhouse right in front, or a ticket booth? need to keep that. Also a healthy looking sawhorse... that should support some weight. I am jealous of your space... I have nothing like it.

I think the most fun you could have to start out is to start a debate on what power tool you should get first (assuming you go that route and not purist hand tools), and if a table saw is even needed at all.

As a way of being helpful, I would note that there are some posts around here regarding some great deals on tools... if you have time, keep your eyes open and you can save a ton of cash... best of luck!

Welcome to the Creek. And welcome to poverty...
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    Here's the course I'm taking in April, would love to hear thoughts on it:

http://www.jdlohrwood.com/services.htm
    I've taken Jeffrey's course - WELL worth it, no complaints. He's got a great personality and sense of humor, great woodworking skills, excellent presenter, nice shop. He's got a couple of great assistants (Rob and Eon [Owen]). You'll learn a ton - shop safety, tool selection/use/maintenance, wood properties/behavior, milling stock, joinery, some design, but a little light on finishing. That's understandable, though, given that that could be a week long course (or multi-year apprenticeship) in itself. Pay attention, though, it moves pretty quickly.

Don't worry about being a newb - you won't be intimidated at all. Neander topics are minimal - he runs a production shop (kinda live edge/G&G fusion is his specialty) when he's not running the school.

Don't forget to take some treats for the dogs (esp. Toby the German Shepherd). PM me if you have any questions I might be able to answer.

Welcome Bob,

Swing on over to Neanderthal Haven and introduce yourself. We're the do it with hand tools guys at Sawmill Creek

welcome to the creek Bob, thats a very nice looking barn and looks like it will make great shop.

you must be near Willow Grove
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Blog Entries
    wow, thanks for all the "welcomes" I've been reading and reading on this forum, what a great group you have here! Also thanks for the kind comments about the barn - it ain't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but not bad for a self taught pencil pusher.

Mike Wilkins - Your point about learning hand tools methods as part of the learning process is a good one. The instructor for my course takes that approach (teach long division, then give the calculator etc.) but does definitely lean towards machine aided woodworking.

Michael MacDonald - Ha ha, I forgot my sawhorse was up on that link. I'm embarassed for this group to see that. But it's functional! (and, the outhouse had to be burned... sooooo rotten and bug infested.. I saved the horse shoes that were above the door, and the jacket hook that was hanging inside)

Jim Watts - Wow, that's so cool that you took the same course and feel it was worth the time/expense. I actually live 5 minutes from Jeffry's farm and was able to take a quick tour and meet him and Rob. Such nice guys. If I were not the sole income for our family, I'd apprentice there in a heartbeat!
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Hi Bob, welcome to the Creek, it is a pleasure to meet you. I like your barn, you have done an excellent job. That is going to be a great place for your woodworking. I really like your sawhorse, don't be embarrassed, it looks great and fits well in the barn.

The school you are going to attend looks good as well. I think you will enjoy it.

Always remember safety, Sam

Sweet shop dude and good for you to realize your passion early on. If you do insulate I would be careful about trapping the moisture since there is no moisture barrier unless you install new siding and wrap it. As long as it can breathe you should be good. Also I would highly suggest placing a couple of strategically placed brackets on the cross members and the roof joists. You did a knock up job so far and please disregard my comment if this was stepping over the line, surely you are not done.
    Last edited by Jamie Schmitz; 02-13-2010 at 2:38 PM.

Wink

What a great looking shop. It looks like a very nice place to work, and hang out in. As for tools, lets see, you have a miter saw, a grinder, a vice, a hammer, tv, and beer. I think you are set