Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: barn saved, near Philly

I just read this thread through from the beginning. An interesting shop story.
    You have a nice photo history to go along with the memories. I would say I hope you enjoy the shop, but I can see that you already are.

Blog Entries
    Hey Erich, Thanks so much for commenting Yes, I'm enjoying the shop and the barn in general completely. I was told I was crazy for creating the shop before learning to woodwork, but that was the only logical way to do it in my mind. So, while the ramp up to being able to do any woodworking was slow, I now find that it's a pleasure to learn and work in there. When I woodwork, it relaxes me and sets my mood right.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Blog Entries
    Well, it's been a longggg time, but I "finished" the entire barn project and wanted to complete this thread for good measure.

Since I was last here, I finally had the barn sided by a company from Lancaster.
    after barn siding.jpg

That allowed me to then progress to building the rec room on the second story. I've done a lot of construction work by now, but this was my "thesis statement" for sure. The family has really been enjoying the space.

the rec room.JPG

And, after a few years of using the shop, I would say that the layout is one that I'm happy and productive with.

router.JPGmiter station.JPGfastener station.JPGdesk.JPGassembly area.JPGtable saw.JPG

I've built some simple things as small paying side jobs and for fun and a bunch of functional items for our own enjoyment. I also built a cherry coffee table starting with rough lumber, and am working on a box project as a wedding present. With construction behind me and a lot of skills learned along the way, I'm excited to advance my woodworking skills.

Thanks for reading,

Bob R.
    - Bob R.

Incredible transformation, Bob! Keep at it.

Blog Entries
    It was really fun to read this thread after all this time.

What struck me the most is: I was an idiot back then, most of the idiot decisions I made 10 years ago have been re-done since then.

(note to self... in 10 more years, you'll think the same things about your current self!)

In all this time, the barn has been totally finished inside and out, and my shop workflow has settled into a good place... same setup on that front for past 5 years or so. And, after we finished all the renovations at our house and ran out of things to build for our own use, I started a small side business this year that consistently has about 2 customer orders being worked on at any given time.

My favorite shop improvements since 2010 are:
    - Added a mini-split so I can now cool the shop, and it helps boost the heat that was already in place
    - Upgraded all DC runs to 6" pipe, built a new Thien top hat, and an exterior exhaust muffler
    - Built a fastener station that is basically my own personal hardware store now
    - Added a spray booth, and an off-grid utility sink for cleaning up equipment

Anyways, here's some pics :-)

IMG_4457.jpgbed bench done.jpgIMG_4139.jpgIMG_4052.jpgIMG_4047.jpg56219231886__5B254027-DC1F-4031-8B7A-F8F0939001ED.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Bob R.

That's a really beautiful end result, Bob! Thanks for preserving that history in our area while at the same time enriching your own life. BTW, I have zero regrets about adding the mini-split to my shop, too...it's a perfect solution for our area's climate and uber-conservative with power usage.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...