Thread: DC closet OK with electrical panel?

DC closet OK with electrical panel?

Hey All:

I am finally finishing as a real space my pathetic little 10x20 shop - from concrete floors and crumbling walls to a real space (pics will follow hopefully as that will mean I am done). I am eager for a good DC solution. In one corner, behind an entry door, is a perfect place to enclose my anemic but loud 1.5 HP old Delta DC. Here is my question: before I frame it in, is it bad that my DC would be sharing what is basically a medium sized closet with the electrical panel? There would be room to open the door, pull out the DC, and pull circuit breakers etc. But is all that dust near the electrical control panel any cause for concern?

This house has already been through one fire, so perhaps I am being paranoid but I just don't want to create any potential hazard. Thanks for any thoughts.

Tim C.

Tim,

I would check with the local building code inspector.

I finished an unfinished bathroom in my basement. When it came time to have the framing inspected, the inspector pointed out that the electrical service box couldn't be in a bathroom. I suspect they are worried about it being in a humid atmosphere.

I about had a heart attack as you might imagine. I asked him...What do I do?... His reply...frame in a short wall.....and put a door at this end. Then the electrical box is in a hallway...not in the bathroom...

I framed in a 3' wall....framed in a door...installed the door and it meets code.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hmmm...I guess I could do the reverse...you walk into the (now shallow) closet,and are greeted by the DC...then you notice another door behind it, which you open to see a 5" deep closet with the electrical panel in it...

But you are right overall-I should ask a building inspector

Thanks

Tim....I forgot to point out that I already had a door from a bedroom leading into the bathroom...and another door from the utility room leading into the bathroom.

What I did was make a short 3' hallway from the bedroom into the bathroom.....and the electrical box was in that hallway.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I am not positive but I don't think you can have a residential electric panel in a closet type area either. I have always thought that panels must be in an open easily accessible area.
    David B

I had a choice to make when I built my DC closet. One corner has the electrical panel and the opposite one didn't. Notwithstanding the merit of Ken's advice to check with a building inspector (I think that is a good idea), I wouldn't choose to have the DC and accompanying potential for fine dust leaks in a small volume room shared by my electrical panel even if the building inspector said it was OK.

When I wired my last shop, I submitted plans to the building department and quickly discovered that the sum total of the knowledge I had newly obtained in order to design and submit the electrical plan for approval had frighteningly exceed the knowledge base of not only the approving reviewer, but the final inspector, too. In the end, I had donated the permit fee for nothing.

I would check with a competent electrician.
    Last edited by Bob Borzelleri; 02-13-2010 at 1:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Cleary View Post
    Hey All:

I am finally finishing as a real space my pathetic little 10x20 shop - from concrete floors and crumbling walls to a real space (pics will follow hopefully as that will mean I am done). I am eager for a good DC solution. In one corner, behind an entry door, is a perfect place to enclose my anemic but loud 1.5 HP old Delta DC. Here is my question: before I frame it in, is it bad that my DC would be sharing what is basically a medium sized closet with the electrical panel? There would be room to open the door, pull out the DC, and pull circuit breakers etc. But is all that dust near the electrical control panel any cause for concern?

This house has already been through one fire, so perhaps I am being paranoid but I just don't want to create any potential hazard. Thanks for any thoughts.

Tim C.
    I can't say for sure, but it is probably against code to restrict access to the panel- fireman need access to turn breakers off when fighting a fire. I don't know about the dust issue, you'll need to check code. As far as fire hazzard- if you have a bag system, that room will likely be full of fine dust, and while the panel may not be a problem since there is no arcing and sparking there, just turning on the light switch could be. I wouldn't do it. My DC & cyclone are in a utility room with my panel but it either discharges outside or into the filters which are in another room.

On another issue, you are handicapping that already "anemic" DC even more by putting it in a closet. See Bob Borzelleri's thread.
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 02-13-2010 at 11:16 AM.

Matt Schnurbusch Guest
    Checking with your local building code enforcement folks is the way to go. Unfortunately, building codes vary wildly from region to region and town to town.

Personally I would not want my DC in a closet with the electrical panel, even if they say it's OK. Breakers do fail, and they can arc inside the box. I have one (now unused) breaker in my panel that is welded to the power bar from such arcing. It may be rare for this to happen, but then I rarely want my house to burn down.

I think one universal issue for electrical panels is the unobstructed space they need in front of them. Something like 3' IIRC. I wanted to put mine on the wall where I would have a bench in front of it. When showing my plans here, I found out that was a no no. Don't think I'd want the panel in a closet with the DC either.
    Our house was built in 1985, and the panel is in the master bath in my closet. I thought that was weird. They also put clothes rods across it. I pulled those down. Common sense says that doesn't jive. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Thanks all. I wasn't that optimistic about my 'DC and electrical panel in small closet idea' l but definitely know that when I get a unanimous veto from creekers I am definitely barking up the wrong tree.

How about this (never mind the dust collection part): if I am finishing in a basement room to be a bedroom, and it has the electrical panel in it, is there any way to hide it?

THanks all

Tim