Thread: HOw do I connect this drum switch to this motor?

HOw do I connect this drum switch to this motor?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer. I picked up a 1 hp motor this morning to put on my lathe. It presently had this drum switch and a 1/3 hp rockwell. I had hoped that I could simply match wire colors to make the switch. When the colors on the old motor didn't match and they weren't identified it wasn't as easy as I had hoped. Found some wiring instructions for a drum switch here from 2004 but they didn't work out when tried.
    Here is the motor diagram.
    2--15-10Wiring Diagrams 001.jpg
    Here is the wiring diagram that Marathon emailed me.
    wiring diagram.pdf
    Here is the switch diagram.
    2--15-10Wiring Diagrams 010.jpg
    2--15-10Wiring Diagrams 007.jpg
    2--15-10Wiring Diagrams 012.jpg
    If you can tell me which color wire from the motor goes to which terminal on the switch I can probably handle it.
    Thanks again!
    Baxter
    Attached Images Attached Images

Baxter,

Your PDF diagram shows that the start winding of the new motor is the black and red wire, the other wires are for the run windings. Since the original motor was 1/3 HP, I will assume that the lathe is running on 120 volts AC, and the new motor will be 120 volts AC also. The drum switch connections would be as follows:

drum switch 1 --- motor black
    drum switch 2 --- power line
    drum switch 3 --- motor yellow + motor white
    drum switch 4 --- motor brown + motor orange
    drum switch 5 --- motor red
    drum switch 6 --- power line

also:connect and insulate motor brown + motor orange

If the motor direction is opposite of the what you need, reverse the motor red and motor black leads.

[QUOTE=Dave Lash;1345554]Baxter,

also:connect and insulate motor brown + motor orange

QUOTE]

Thanks Dave!
    I just finished following your directions for hooking up the motor and switch and it runs fine in both directions. I am not sure what you meant by the statement above. They were already connected together by a wire to drum switch terminal 4. The only wire that doesn't connect to anything now is a purple one. I remember reading something earlier today when I was trying to figure this out about some wire not being needed for thermal protection? That my be completely off but thanks a lot for your help. It was greatly appreciated!
    Baxter

Baxter,

In looking back at the wiring diagram, I see that I made a mistake with the brown and orange , and the purple leads. While the motor now runs, the thermal protector is being bypassed. Here are the corrected connections; the motor brown and orange leads should be spliced together and insulated, and should not go to the drum switch. The motor purple lead should go to drum switch 4. Sorry for the mistake.

Dave

Ok. I will change it. Thanks again for all your help!
    Baxter