Thread: BLT roll-out flooring

BLT roll-out flooring

I'm thinking of covering the shop floor and wonder if anyone has used the BLT brand Poly Vinyl roll-out flooring. I'm thinking the coin pattern would work well and it's around .075 thick to give a bit of cushioning. Any input on this product? most of my tools are on rollers....Will this material allow movement of machinery?

Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 02-16-2010 at 1:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McQuinn View Post
    I'm thinking of covering the shop floor and wonder if anyone has used the BLT brand Poly Vinyl roll-out flooring. I'm thinking the coin pattern would work well and it's around .075 thick to give a bit of cushioning. Any input on this product? most of my tools are on rollers....Will this material allow movement of machinery?

Mac
    Can't help with this, but going to watch the thread as the same thought has crossed my mind over the last couple of years.

Two questions I have always had -
    1) Sweeping up sawdust - the coin pattern can tend to trap the dust on the leading edge when sweeping up - at least on some floors with this pattern I have seen it.

2) Rolling heaving machinery on the stuff - I am wondering if it will bunch up like trying to roll something on a rug?

Lewis,
    Those are two great questions, both big concerns before laying out around 1k to do my garage/shop floor. The biggest benefit I see is the ability to take with you when moving.

Mac

Roll out flooring

We are using this type of flooring. Anything on wheels causes the flooring to move - creates a 'wave' in front of the wheels. I wouldn't recommend it where you need to move equipment around.

Mac, If your willing to spend a grand then putting in a wood floor with 2x4 sleepers and 3/4 ply over it would be better.

It will provide insultation, you can run wire under it and wood is better on your back.

In my corner of the world, vinyl flooring is usually glued down.....and wheels about 2.5-3" or larger is no problem.
    Gluing vinyl is not common in the US?

I believe the factory website instructs you to use a industrial double faced tape at edges and seams and leave 1/2" between walls and flooring for expansion. The real benefit of this flooring is the option to take it with you when you move. Otherwise it's a bit pricey....to leave for next owner.

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Halgeir Wold View Post
    In my corner of the world, vinyl flooring is usually glued down.....and wheels about 2.5-3" or larger is no problem.
    Gluing vinyl is not common in the US?

Don,
    A wooden floor is the Bee's Knees for working on although this is for a garage shop which still allows the other person in the house to park her auto in it.....

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    Mac, If your willing to spend a grand then putting in a wood floor with 2x4 sleepers and 3/4 ply over it would be better.

It will provide insultation, you can run wire under it and wood is better on your back.

Why not just go with one of these epoxy (ucoat) floor coatings? It would likely be less expensive and work well for both the shop and the car. You wouldnt be able to take it with you but there are a lot of things we do to homes that cant go with you. Plus the nice garage floor would add to your homes value.

Being in the construction business, we hear the take it with you thing a lot. I often remind people that with a product like this you will likely never move to another house where you will have enough, or even want, what you are thinking of taking with you.

It always just seems best to me to improve your house with reasonable improvements that you may even get paid for when you leave. If not, at least they made your life better while you were there.

Just my $0.02
    Mark

What are cars doing in the garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    What are cars doing in the garage

They are there to determine if the twincutter can actually cut a car in half