Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dustless Lubricant recomendation needed

Dustless Lubricant recomendation needed

I just made all the mouldings for my new shop out of MDF. Got 1/2" 4X8' sheets and cut on table saw then ran it through the router table. It was very rewarding until I realized that MDF dust it the NASTIEST S#@* (CRAP) on the globe!!!!! My shop is a mess. I need to clean everything it touched.

Did a search and found out about Dupont multi-use lubtricant which is reported as a Teflon based product. Does anyone have a better solution?

Thanks, in advance, for your input.

Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Ken,

I'm a tad confused.

Do you mean that ... you need to thoroughly clean everything ... including your ww machinery, and ... once you do ... you'll want to re-lube it ... using something that won't attract dust?

Spray graphite is pretty good. Some people use "stick" paraffin or beeswax, too. I think the goal is to avoid greases and silicones.

I've had good luck, similarly, with WD-40 and their 3-in-1 product.

Mainly the gears in the tablesaw and router lift are caked with MDF dust. But while I'm at it, all the tools need heavy maintenance and lube.

If WD-40 will work, I got a ton of it around here.. Thx
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

WD will work, Ken, but ... like in most applications ... it's probably not the ultimate for the TS gears.

It's a mix of solvent AND light lube, so ... it would need to be refreshed more frequently than some others.

WD would be a good way to clean the gunk off, but ... for what you're talking about ... I might recommend white lithium grease, paraffin, or beeswax. I think you'll get more hours out of them.

I use the teflon stuff. Works great.

Blog Entries
    I use a spray on bicycle chain lube that is a dry lube that supposedly doesn't attract road dust.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I use the Teflon spray. Use to get it at Lowe's but they do not stock it any longer.

I also used this stuff but see the manufacture has discontinued it. I liked it a lot.

I am going to try the Dry lube from this company.http://www.kanolabs.com/ I have used their Kroil and it is amazing stuff. We use it at work and was surprised how it bust rusted bolts lose. They have a deal on it right now if you would like to try it. http://www.kanolabs.com/google/ NOTE..This stuff is not the dry lube.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Guess I better stop telling people they can get that at Lowes! I found it at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GL19TY?...reative=380789

Same company that makes PB Blaster have a product that doesnt attract dust (no wax content). I use it on my snowblower linkages, and I did even add some to the bevel and height adjustment cranks on my table saw.

Pretty sure you can get it at HD, its called TDL "The Dry Lube", looks like this: http://blasterchemical.com/display.cfm?p=50003&pid=6

For the heli worm gears in a table saw, there is nothing better than paste wax. Apply with an old toothbrush. Crank the tilt and raise as you brush on the wax. The solvents in wax will remove the old gunk while putting down a coating of wax that will not attract or hold dust. Wax is an excellent low speed lubricant. Any paste wax will work. I use Johnson but I've used Minwax, TreWax and others in years past.
    Howie.........

I just bought a can from nearby Lowes Saturday, it was last can on shelf although Lowes 20 minutes north of me had plenty. This happen once before and it seemd like it took forever but they did start re-stocking.

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I use the Teflon spray. Use to get it at Lowe's but they do not stock it any longer.

Yet another possibility ... to further muddy the waters

I just heard about this stuff, today, and ordered a couple of cans. No first-hand knowledge, yet, but ... came highly recommended:

http://www.woodglide.com/

Paste wax huh... never really thought about using paste wax on the TS gears. Do you suppose it would really hold up over a little time?

Looks like you have 2 things you want to do...

One clean up things and then lube them.

For cleaning I open the shop door, put a fan blowing out and use the air hose and just keep blowing things off, I do ware a mask.

Now for the lube part I use graphite power in a squeeze bottle, very slick and will not hold saw dust.

Blog Entries
    I use the stuff Dave shows; available at Lowe's for a few bucks. Ahh, there's nothing that drives home the point of collecting dust at the source like a little milling of the old M.D.F. When I do the rare bit of free hand routing of the stuff, I use a vac attachment for edge work. For the large caliber, full bore, "game-on" routing of the stuff, I open doors and aim fans to create a through-flow. I'm sure the word respirator is a given, dust collection or not ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler