Thread: If you had a choice...RAS Question

If you had a choice...RAS Question

Ok, so just wanted to put this out there to see what y'all think.

Which RAS would you prefer and why:

A Delta/Rockwell 5hp 3phase 14" Model 40-C-L from around 1950

OR

A DeWalt GE 3hp 1phase 14"

Thanks all!

Hutch

Which requires less work to restore? Do you have 3ph.

Just got a like new 3hp 16" 33-410 Delta and it is a BEAST. HP will NOT be a concern.

There is a whole forum dedicated to the Dewalt RAS.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

For me single phase power would be the key factor. Would love to get a larger "real" RAS, even my old Crapsman is an extremely versatile tool. It was the first "real" woodworking tool I ever bought and I just can't let it go.

If phase is no problem:

The Delta has the advantage of being a Unipoint style machine, the blade crosses the fence at the same point no matter the angle.

I believe the GE is capable of running a 16" blade. I've got a GA, it's a 14".

I'd look at which machine has the longer arm.

Check the machined ways where the carriage runs inside the arm, if they're worn, they're trouble. The first few inches is where the most wear occurs. I'm not sure about the Delta, but the DeWalt's aren't replaceable and remachining them is a pain.

Personally, condition being equal, I'd go for the DeWalt. The GE's are highly regarded.
    Darnell

DeWalts are Monster Machines, but I'm sold on Rockwell/Delta. All the controls are up front OR within easy reach half way back. Rockwell/Delta's turret arm design permits left and right miter cuts in the center of the table, instead of wayy to each side.

Rockwell/Delta slides on hardened track rods which can be rotated for a new smooth face, or replaced easily. Older RASs with machined grooves in the CI arm are not easily rehab'd when they become worn. Beware of this point more than any other.

As with most of my bargain machinery, the Rockwell 33-362 18" is 7.5hp. 3ph. I don't need 7.5hp, OR 18" blade capacity. But for $500 who can argue? I mounted a 14" blade guard and use smaller blades for crosscutting. It's a WOW saw!

9 out of 10 big RASs are 3-phase. Well worth a static converter, or even a rotary, if you may even remotely consider other 3-ph machinery in your shop.
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 02-17-2010 at 11:56 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Good Points

Thanks you guys. You brought up a some good points. I currently have the Delta/Rockwell 40-C-L, but I have to put a few hundred into it to get it going. But I saw a Dewalt GE ready to go (which I thought probably could take a 16" blade, even though it had a 14" on it). The GE looked in really good shape. I played around with the mechanisms, and they didn't appear worn in any way, though I didn't check the wear on the arm.

I think I'll stick with repairing the 40-C. Longer crosscut capacity, slightly smaller footprint, and no worries about wear on the turret arm.

Thanks!

Hutch

P.S. I have a couple phase converters.