Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GLOAT: Dust collector upgrade

GLOAT: Dust collector upgrade

I just finished upgrading my Delta 50-850, with Gary MacIntyer's cyclone. (Ebay Item# 270423194251) After speaking with Gary , at length, I bit off on the unit for $227.75 deliverd to my home. I used the motor and impeller from the 850 and this is what I came up with.

This thing is AWSOME!!!!! My CFM is throught he roof and I'm all plumbed with 6" HVAC 30ga. pipe. I am convinced this is the best money I've spent in a long time. It has done everything, and MORE that Gary said it would.

The third picture is of the carcass of the 850. I have that, and several pieces of 4" PVC pipe, and several pieces of 4" black flex tubing that I no longer need. If there is anyone that would like to trade me something equally useless to them, and are willing to pick it up in Metro Chicagoland, just PM me so we can work it out. Of course I'll clean it up before tranport.

Ken

BTW- I am not affiliated with the seller or the product in any form. Just happy with the purchase.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

This one has my interest (thanks for posting). Two things, how tall are your ceilings and do you have any concerns about 30ga ducts collapsing?

Nice, how tall is that?

The ceiling is 8' even. I used a small can because of the height. It's so easy to empty that wont be an issue. I was planing and cutting all day yesterday and it was about 3/4 full and much less residual dust in the shop. Love this thing!!!!!

I dont have any worries at all about collapsing the 30ga. ductwork. In fact, I tested it by closing all the blast gates and starting the unit. I figured, I better find out now instead of down the line in the middle of an important project. I admit the "pucker factor" was pretty high when I pushed the button, but it worked like a champ.

Highly recommended... Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Shoemaker View Post
    The ceiling is 8' even. I used a small can because of the height. It's so easy to empty that wont be an issue. I was planing and cutting all day yesterday and it was about 3/4 full and much less residual dust in the shop. Love this thing!!!!!

I dont have any worries at all about collapsing the 30ga. ductwork. In fact, I tested it by closing all the blast gates and starting the unit. I figured, I better find out now instead of down the line in the middle of an important project. I admit the "pucker factor" was pretty high when I pushed the button, but it worked like a champ.

Highly recommended... Ken
    Thanks! I guess it was the can but it looked much larger than that, glad it will fit under my 9' ceiling, will have to look closely at this one.

Glad to here 30ga will work it is back on my list!

No filter? Where are you exhausting?
    "It's Not About You."

I'm exhausting right outside. I poured MDF dust into this this as fast as I could get it in and saw nothing come out. That's why I decided to vent it right outside. Virtualy NOTHING is being discharged but air...

Note, it's pretty noisy so be careful if it's pointed at someone you want to keep as a good neighbor.
    Last edited by Ken Shoemaker; 02-18-2010 at 3:34 PM.

What about blowing all of your heat outside in the winter. Gets cold in New Lenox.......

Any plans to recapture heat or is your space unheated?

Larry,

The shop is heated. The DC is on a remote switch. I only leave it running when I need it. The ecellent dust collection outways the heat loss. I used it all winter and it worked out well for me. I wouldn't intend on leaving the DC running non-stop or I think you could empty the warm air quickly.

I should say the floor on the shop is covered in DRICORE forund at Lowes. THAT ONE THING makes so much difference, I would recomend it to anyone. My legs aren't tired oout, and my feet stay warm.

The combination DC and DRICORE is a winner in my book.

GU DAY.... Ken

Ken

My shop is a little different as I make a living out of it. I run machines sometimes for hours at a time nonstop so it would not work for me. I have two four baggers now but am going to do a cyclone in my new smaller shop so I will check out that source. I sometimes have to empty bags two and three times a day. I was going to make one but at the price you paid I will give this fellow a call. If I ran one like yours I would be freezing to death!

I have a system designed with a cyclone outside dumping into a bin that can be picked up and dumped with my tractor/forks. After the cyclone the air will come back in to the shop to a baghouse of my own design and build. I have metal fab capabilities as well so to save money I'll just do it myself. I am looking for a source for filter fabric now so my wife can sew up my bags. What they want for commercial setups is out of my pricerange, and I feel overpriced for what is delivered. This way I can keep it up high[12'ceilings] and not in my way.

Larry,
    Your design is intersting.

I have the filter bag from the 850 I no longer use. It's yours if it will save you some money.

In fact, I wonder if you got another on and mounted it to the bottom of the DC, where the plastic collection bag now sits???? You could run the exhaust from the cyclone into the DC, have filter bags in top and bottom. You'll get almost no dust in that filters because of the cyclone. With another bag you'd be in business.

Just a thought... Good Luck!! Kken

Gloat Too

After I read this post, I recalled seeing a similar looking cyclone on Amazon. So I found it again, and it sure looked the same. $217 plus about $40 shipping. The site said that it was sold through "the Heavy Duty Store" and it had a link. I went there, sure enough, this was definitely a Gary MacIntyer cyclone...it even had his photos on the site! Here is the gloat...$219 with free shipping! It showed up on the porch this past Saturday. It should work nicely sitting under my old Cincinnati Fan drum-top DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Justis View Post
    After I read this post, I recalled seeing a similar looking cyclone on Amazon. So I found it again, and it sure looked the same. $217 plus about $40 shipping. The site said that it was sold through "the Heavy Duty Store" and it had a link. I went there, sure enough, this was definitely a Gary MacIntyer cyclone...it even had his photos on the site! Here is the gloat...$219 with free shipping! It showed up on the porch this past Saturday. It should work nicely sitting under my old Cincinnati Fan drum-top DC.
    Crud! He must have taken the free shipping away!

I just looked at it again, and in the checkout is came up as no charge shipping: http://www.heavydutystore.com/cyclon...-pr-21576.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Justis View Post
    I just looked at it again, and in the checkout is came up as no charge shipping: http://www.heavydutystore.com/cyclon...-pr-21576.html
    That did the trick! Funny every door I tried had 40 bucks shipping. Once again SMC is a great resouce.