Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GLOAT: Dust collector upgrade

Hey guys, Let me know how it wokrs out for you. Good Luck!! Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Shoemaker View Post
    Hey guys, Let me know how it wokrs out for you. Good Luck!! Ken
    Does the cyclone have a spiral dust ramp inside or is it just a cylinder and cone?

I was thinking of modifying the DC I have, and your picture of the blower oriented sideways intrigued me.

Are there any issues with running such a motor in a position perpendicular to the axis in which the manufacturer intended? Will bearings wear unexpectedly or will they not be affected?

I did the same thing with my Harbor Freight DC. 6" ducting and vented outside. Best $/CFM you will find with a cyclone. Also the best $300 I ever spent....

Josh, I think ther is a spiral ramp inside. The inlet is extended around the back of the cylinder.

I don,t know about a problem mounting the motor on it's side. Only time will tell.

Ken

Can't imagine why there would be a problem mounting as you have Ken - many have. Matter of fact - that very old Wood Mag design did the same iirc.

At this price point I bet he's got a few orders in the hopper.

Joel,

I think your right about the orders.

I"ll tell you this is the best upgrade I've ever made. CFM is thru the roof. In fact, my planer actually whistles when I turn the DC on.... Also, nice to have a floor sweep that your not worried about getting a screw or sometning that could start a fire.

Ken

Glad it worked

Josh,
    Glad that it worked out for you. Now if we could just find a deal on some laterall fittings.

Ken
    I have about the same delta bag type collector do you think it would work to just run the cyclone in series with the delta and still use the bags
    Hook the inlet which now has two 4 inch but has removable part to make it 6 or so hook that to the cyclone and put the exhast back in to the bags .
    were i live its cold 7 months of the year so i do not care to exhast my heat
    but if you could still use the bags only with the cyclone you would have better filltration with out the bags having to get all the chips and dust
    thanks LD

Lawrence,
    Absolutly!!!
    1) Remove your motor and impeller
    2) Remove the two 4" inlets from the impeller and replace it with a 7"to 6" HVAC reducer that should slip right over the 6" inlet on the impeller.
    3) Turn the impeller/motor on its side and slip the reducer over the the 7" inlet of the cyclone.
    4) Run the exhaust of the impleller to you bags.
    5) Clean your bag as best as you can so you have max CFM. In fact, replace the bottom plastic bag with a filter bag. Trust me, you'll have so little dust getting in there it will be years before you notice anything in there.

I think this would save your heated air and give you one heck of a DC.
    If you need and pics of what I've done, simply let me know. I'll help you out as best I can.

Good Luck.... Ken

Just ordered the cyclone (6 inch). Where did you find Gary's number to ask questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Shoemaker View Post
    Lawrence,
    Absolutly!!!
    1) Remove your motor and impeller
    2) Remove the two 4" inlets from the impeller and replace it with a 7"to 6" HVAC reducer that should slip right over the 6" inlet on the impeller.
    3) Turn the impeller/motor on its side and slip the reducer over the the 7" inlet of the cyclone.
    4) Run the exhaust of the impleller to you bags.
    5) Clean your bag as best as you can so you have max CFM. In fact, replace the bottom plastic bag with a filter bag. Trust me, you'll have so little dust getting in there it will be years before you notice anything in there.

I think this would save your heated air and give you one heck of a DC.
    If you need and pics of what I've done, simply let me know. I'll help you out as best I can.

Good Luck.... Ken
    Just curious.Why reorient the impeller/motor. Wouldn't it work just exhausting the cyclone into the DC the way it is now set up?

Ken,

How many horsey's what your DC?

I have a smaller jet DC and was wondering about doing the same thing.

David - I emailed thru Ebay and he called me back. He gave me his number. I'll PM you with it later. I don't have access to it right now.

Ray - Conserving space. If you want to leave it strung out it would work fine.

Doug - 1.5 hp. I used 30ga. pipe and haven't collasped it yet. I read that I really should use that aluminum tape on ALL the joints of the elbows, but at this rate I don't need to go through that trouble. But my planer whistles when I have that blast gate open and that's good enough for me.

Ken

Thanks Ken,makes sense. Please PM the number to me also.

Ray