Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to learn how to use Hand tools?

Best way to learn how to use Hand tools?

Hello all,
    I'm newer to woodworking, and everything I've learned has mostly been with power tools. However, I need to learn more about handtools. Can you all recommend some good beginner books about how to use planes? DVD video recommendations would also be helpful.

Thanks,
    Greg

Blog Entries
    The way I did it: read every book, watch every video. Use your hand tools on your next project. Then re-read those books and re-watch those videos and you'll be amazed at how much you missed the first time through.

Repeat the above ad infinitum.

You should put your location in your profile. Maybe someone lives near you that can help jumpstart your education through hands on training.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

The handtools DVD by Frank Klausz. I have this DVD and I think it is great. In fact anything hand tools by Frank Klausz is great, he has a very practical no nonsense approach towards tools and how to use them. He also has a mortise and tenon joint DVD as well as a dovetailed drawers DVD.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

If you're specifically looking for a good overall look at using bench planes, get the "Coarse, Medium, and Fine" DVD that Christopher Schwarz did.

heh -

3 responses, 3 opinions!

I'd strongly recommend David Charlesworth videos 1 and 2 - plane sharpening and usage. They changed my world...

You might want to check out smartflix.com....

Good luck!
    - jbd in Denver

just to qualify my opinion, these are the only DVDs I have seen on hand tools, so my opinion doesn't come from a broad exposure. I love how Chris Schwarz explains things. Never seen anything from Charlesworth, but his stuff is very highly recommended.
    I think Randy has the correct approach.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Greg,

If you are new to hand tools you will definitely want to invest time in learning to sharpen along with plane use. It is kind of like the old question about the chicken and the egg. You can't have one without the other. You are less likely to get frustrated if you do this up front. Enjoy.

Some books.

While I second the above opinions that DVDs from any mentioned above are good, you also requested reading material. Here's a few:

The Handplane Book by Garrett Hack. Explains a lot and shows a good variety and different types.

Hand Tools (Their ways and Workings) by Aldren A. Watson. Has a lot of info on using handtools, including planes.

Just a note, if you handplane you must do these things at first before actually using a handplane: You must hold the wood securely at a good height, and you must learn to sharpen. Otherwise you might become frustrated.

There are other things you will learn in addition, (like waxing the sole) but those can come a little later. Watch the videos and read the books.
    And don't be afraid to make mistakes and ask questions. We are all learning from each other. Even the old ones keep learning.

Oh, and welcome to the slippery slope. (Not sure anymore if I'm going up or down the slope, but I see no way off it).

eric

I've a voracious appetite for hand-tool DVDs and books. I can't claim to have them all, but I've got a good many of them. I'd second all of the above recommendations, and add Graham Blackburn's book on HandTools. Should you so desire, you can get it directly from the author here:

http://www.blackburnbooks.com/Product/Catalog.html

Bar none, the best book on preparing stock, sawing, and making woodworking joints with handtools is no longer in print - It's Charles Hayward's "Carpentry for Beginners". It goes for relatively high prices for an out-of-print book, but there's a reason - it's really worth paying $50-$75 for this book.

But the title of your thread said "Best way to learn hand tools?", and that's not a book or a DVD. The best way is to have someone show you, and not in a formal class environment, though that's still better than books. Google "woodworking clubs in XXXX (your location)", and go to a meeting. While it's likely most will be power-tool guys, odds are excellent that you'll find at least a few folks that want to do it the knuckle-draggin' way, know what they're doing, and are willing to host a newbie in their shop for a day.

Greg,
    Post your location (town and state) and ask for help. I would bet a nearby creeker would respond and even if your both new to handplanes, working together will get you going faster. An experienced handplaner will get you further than anything else.
    Then practice.
    I would have to say that of the above DVD's, my favorite for an all-around look at planing would be the "Coarse, Medium, Fine" by Chris Schwarz.
    But an evening with a new friend, some planes, and some scrap wood - well, let just say "it dont get any better than that!"
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Blog Entries
    I don't where you live, but I started with a one day class at Homestead Heritage School od Woodworking near Waco Texas. I returned for several classes. Check them out or try to find a school near you. A few days of instruction will prevent a lot of frustration. It might save you a lot of money spent on tools in that you will probably buy the right tool initially.

I was having problem with hand saws because I didn't know what to expect from a saw. After I purchased a LN dovetail saw, things improved. If I was able to subtract the cost of the cheap saws from it, it would be a bargain.

Having said all that, I am still just an old duffer. :-)

You are right in seeking help. There is indeed an initial learning curve to learning hand tools. It isn't rocket science, but it is impossibly frustrating if you don't learn the basics.

Learning to sharpen is as important as anything. There are some good videos and also Leonard Lee's book on sharpening is among the best.

Also, there are a lot of blogs out there that deal with traditional hand tool woodworking. I have one and I track a number of others on my website at www.unpluggedshop.com

I think I would take a look at Rob Cosman's site.

http://www.robcosman.com/

He has links to some sample videos on YouTube.com that should give you an idea of what you would be getting before deciding to purchase or not.

Each DVD also has a mini sample.

http://www.robcosman.com/dvd.php
    Last edited by Danny Burns; 01-20-2009 at 12:07 PM.

Welcome Greg,

I'm firmly in Dave Keller's camp on this one. While books and DVDs are a help, there is nothing that will advance your skills as well or quickly as having hands on instruction during an interactive session with another woodworker. There are guilds and clubs all over the country, and unless you seek them out, they are unlikely to go looking for you. Most of the skills and knowledge I've gained over the years have come from being associated with the Guild of NH Woodworkers. This has come in many forms: demonstrations, lectures, workshops, symposia, one on one mentoring, formal classes, and question and answer periods.

I urge you to make the effort to find a group, it is not only one of the best ways to learn, it is one of the least expensive.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Best way to learn? Books and DVD's only go so far. I think they are great for dialing in on the principles. However my biggest advances have been with the tools in hand. Get some inexpensive and easy to work wood and start practicing. Anyone who has been around for a while will tell you the same thing. Books, videos, personal training will give you a clue, but you have to develop the muscle memory and skills within yourself through practice.

I am far from an expert. I still struggle through my projects, but each one gets easier and the quality better. I make a lot of sawdust, but for the most part don't have to scrap much wood due to mistakes. One day my home will be filled with hand built furniture of higher quality than I could ever afford.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Carmichael View Post
    I suspect family members are plotting an intervention.