Thread: Improved Craigs List

Improved Craigs List

CL is great and fun to browse, but changing from city to city gets old for me. I found craiglook.com that does a much nicer job of showing posts within a radius of a city.
    Jeremy Gibson

That could be useful if you regularly look at many CL's.

One thing I've been wanting is some kind of website/service that can run searches for me for certain keywords. For instance, I'd like to know right away if anyone lists any Festool, but 99%, there are no results at all for that. Anyone know of a service like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post

One thing I've been wanting is some kind of website/service that can run searches for me for certain keywords. For instance, I'd like to know right away if anyone lists any Festool, but 99%, there are no results at all for that. Anyone know of a service like this?
    I am not currently using it, but a couple of years ago a used Snarfer with the CL plug-in. It worked pretty well. You could have multiple keyword searches for multiple CL cities.
    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. - Thomas Jefferson

Do you have a @gmail.com account?
    Google lets you customize your home page to include gadgets.
    I have 4 CL gadgets on mine that let me watch the "Tools" for sale at local areas.

There is also a Gadget to look for something specific. http://www.google.com/ig/directory?h...istMonitor.xml
    Install it to your Google H.P.

Google doesn't list CL directly as a gadget. You have to search for "craigslist" to find the CL gadgets.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Another member made a little utility to assist in the search:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1236448

Maybe it will help.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post

There are several "CraigsList Widgets" from Yahoo that may meet your needs. I use a couple of the Yahoo Widgets to display Clock and Weather information on the desktop on my XP machine, but have absolutely no experience with the CraigsList variety. A list of the CraigsList widgets are at:
    http://widgets.yahoo.com/search/?q=CraigsList
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

I have an iPhone app that searches every CL city for whatever I'm looking for. It's called Craigslist Pro (or words to that effect).

Craigs list

Also check out Craiglook.com for a more localized result up to 250 miles

if you prefer a standalone app, there's one called CLWatcher.

nothing to install, just a single executable file. click the cities and sections you want, type in a phrase, it does the rest.