Thread: Unisaw motor question

Unisaw motor question

I've been told that a motor from a left tilt won't fit a right tilt saw and vice versa. I thought they were interchangeable.

Thanks for shedding some light on this, Gary

It's the two mounting brackets which set Uni motors apart from all others. (plus a non-standard 3/4" shaft) The brackets are mounted so as to keep the motor's conduit box and capacitor *bumps* out of the way to maintain clearance. The brackets are *flipped* on left-tilt Uni's because everything else in the guts is also a mirror image of the original right-tilt saw.

Some have made their own mounting brackets attached to a standard motor, with welded brackets mounted to a flat plate. Of course, a motor would have to be found (or remachined) with 3/4" shaft. Else, the 3-groove motor pulley would have to be rebored to 7/8" or shimmed to 5/8".

Here are shots of a right-tilt Leeson 3hp motor. Notice the brackets. A hole on right side and adjustment slot on left. Notice the slant of the bracket top downward toward the right.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 02-18-2010 at 3:23 PM. Reason: add photos
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    ... Of course, a motor would have to be found (or remachined) with 3/4" shaft. ....
    And that could be very difficult. Standard NEMA frame shaft diameters jump from 5/8 on the 56 frames to 7/8 on the 143T/145T and 182/184 frames. A NEMA frame with a 3/4 shaft would be a special and probably not very common in the general market. The standard frame closest to 3/4 (19.05mm) is the IEC D80 with a 19mm shaft.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Thank you both

Tom and Chip,
    Thank you for the informative replies, I appreciate you taking time to clarify that. I've been making chips for 6 or 8 years but just found this forum a few weeks ago. There's a wealth of information and many extremely helpful people.

Thaks again, Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Pennington View Post
    I've been told that a motor from a left tilt won't fit a right tilt saw and vice versa. I thought they were interchangeable.

Thanks for shedding some light on this, Gary
    The motors for the left & right Unisaws are different.
    The brackets are reversed.

even if it fit, it would turn the blade backwards
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    even if it fit, it would turn the blade backwards
    Only if the motors are single phase.

Chris and David,
    Thanks, especially for the photo. Speaks volumes.

Gary