Thread: Might get a new table saw

Might get a new table saw

Hi everyone, I've been thinking about getting a nice new table saw sometime soon and was looking at the Delta 36-977 contractors saw. A link to the saw is below. I would like to modify this saw by extending the table where the fence extends out and was wondering how hard this would be to do, or if it is supposed to accept a home built extension on it. Also, would it be possible to add an infeed table to this saw? Only problem I see is the fence being in the way but I suppose that can be worked around. Thanks in advance. Oh yeah, this seems like a great price considering they offer free shipping.
    http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.c...uct/36-977.asp

First, the extra you'd spend to upgrade to cast wings would be well worth it, only $50 more from that site.

Not certain on the homecraft fence solution, sorry.

Second, cpo is offering a $50 mail in rebate on delta table saws, offers 6% bing and free shipping over $199. They don't offer the 977, but do offer the 979 and 980. Final price on the 980 should be $710 after bing and rebate. I've purchased from them in the past and had nothing but good customer service, no way affiliated with them.

Extending the table to the left is no problem. I did it for my cabinet saw. I'm with Nathan on getting the cast iron wings. It would be worth it. Stamped sucks. Outfeed table shouldn't be a problem. You can use about anything for infeed support. I use a Black and Decker Workhorse thing. Works great for me. I don't think that you would need an independent infeed table unless all you did was cut sheet goods.
    Chuck

Greg,

The way that the fence attaches to the saw makes it easy to temporarily attach an infeed table. Just make a table with legs on one end, and a little cleat on the other which slips in the space the fence rides in.

That being said, that's not a very good price for that saw. Or, perhaps I should say that this saw, at that price, does not represent a "good value". I see these for sale used on Craigslist all the time for $150-300. If you were willing to spend a little more, look at some of the cabinet saws Grizzly has - there have been several VERY nice cabinet saws of theirs for sale for not much more than you're looking to spend. They'd easily be twice as well-performing, and would have better resale value.

For instance, see this one at $850 (including shipping): http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-T...se-220V/G1023S
    Last edited by Dan Friedrichs; 02-18-2010 at 5:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    It does seem like too much money for what you get. You could probably find used saws in this class for much less. Since you are willing to modify your new saw with some bolt-ons (that's not a bad thing) it does open up your choices in the used market. If you get a saw for a couple hundred, you can afford wings and a fence and still be less expensive. Just a thought.

Unfortunately the flurry of blowouts on the Orion/Steel City hybrib that Sears sells seems to have run int course. My local Sears had one for $500 and I nearly bought it, just because.

That being said, at that price I would shop hybrids for the smaller footprint, better dust collection and all the other goodies that go along with that level of saw that is just a bit over the price you are looking at.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for all the advice. I'm looking to get a bandsaw from Grizzly too, so that would be convenient because I would just drive down to the showroom and save on shipping .. Right now, I have a 10" Rockwell homecraft saw but it's seen better days. I think it has a semi decent fence on it, the v-block design if you will. I purchased this for $80 and it cuts, but I would like something with better safety features. I had to add my own splitter by drilling a hole for a small .096 dowel pin. I'll try to add a picture later. It has seen better days, which is why I am considering looking into a new table saw as I get my shop all set up. I could always see if I can add an outfeed table to that and an extension for the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Greg,

The way that the fence attaches to the saw makes it easy to temporarily attach an infeed table. Just make a table with legs on one end, and a little cleat on the other which slips in the space the fence rides in.

That being said, that's not a very good price for that saw. Or, perhaps I should say that this saw, at that price, does not represent a "good value". I see these for sale used on Craigslist all the time for $150-300. If you were willing to spend a little more, look at some of the cabinet saws Grizzly has - there have been several VERY nice cabinet saws of theirs for sale for not much more than you're looking to spend. They'd easily be twice as well-performing, and would have better resale value.

For instance, see this one at $850 (including shipping): http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-T...se-220V/G1023S

The clearance 1023 is sold out... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=133244

This puts you at about $1200 shipped for a Griz cabinet saw, but still a LOT more saw than the Delta, I would look at the Griz contractors saws before I spent the money on Delta, but the only Delta machine I would currently but is the Uni and there are better shoices for the money there as well, I prefer the SS PCS and the PM2000 for less than Uni money.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    The clearance 1023 is sold out... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=133244
    Ah - I just saw that, too...

Well, I still think that's too much for that Delta contractor's saw. I bought mine (same model) on closeout at Rockler for $400. I saw a used Grizzly cabinet saw like that for sale on my local Craigslist for $150 today.

If after your final evaluation of all these posts you still decide to go with the Delta Contractor then at least go with Nathan's advise on the 980. You may also want to consider a better fence then the T2 which is standard on the 980 (not that the T2 is bad) Here is some of the choices.

977 = stamped wings & T2 Fence
    980 = cast wings & T2 Fence
    981 = cast wings & Uni-Fence
    982 = cast wings & Biesemeyer Fence

Of course the cost goes up as you go down the list. You would see a major improvement with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Allen View Post
    First, the extra you'd spend to upgrade to cast wings would be well worth it, only $50 more from that site.

Not certain on the homecraft fence solution, sorry.

Second, cpo is offering a $50 mail in rebate on delta table saws, offers 6% bing and free shipping over $199. They don't offer the 977, but do offer the 979 and 980. Final price on the 980 should be $710 after bing and rebate. I've purchased from them in the past and had nothing but good customer service, no way affiliated with them.

"The best things in life are not things."