Thread: Need a little help with my Powermatic bandsaw

Need a little help with my Powermatic bandsaw

I recently purchased a Powermatic 14" band saw models PWBS14 and the 6" riser block kit.

When I installed the riser block I had to remove and replace the 'Rear Blade Guard' which sets next to the on/off switch and allows the blade to ride inside a grove between the top and bottom wheels.

The factory installed guard (blank in color) had the grove that the saw bade rides in facing out (as does the break down diagram in the owners manual) but the new one from the riser block kit (Powermatic yellow in color) shown in their diagram facing inwards, for safety reason that kind of makes sense because more blade is now exposed but for easy of changing the blade it does not (would require removing the guard to change the blade).

My question is should the new 'Rear Blade Guard' face out like the old one or should it face inward covering the blade which is now more exposed???

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-18-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Ron,

I going to move this thread to the General Woodworking and power tool forum where it will get more exposure and stand a better possibilty of finding someone who has this bandsaw.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I can not say on your saw but I have a Jet and it is open to the outside.

I would think if you did it the other way you would have to take it off every time you changed the blade.

I installed the same riser on my pm bandsaw, my rear gaurd faces forward just like the old one, I must have missed that in the instructions but it does not make sense to install it that way. You would have to remove it every time you changed the blade . Also the rear guard is over an inch deep so its impossible for the blade to protrude beyond it anyway.

Thats what I though I just wanted to make sure before I installed it and turned it on and have something bad happen

Thanks,
    Ron

I think it's personal preference. I have mine open. The teacher at our school shop keeps it closed.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night