Thread: Wood Storage

Wood Storage

My shop is in my attached garage and that is also where I store my limited inventory of wood.

I store the boards horizontally with stickers in between. I noticed that Steve Jenkins' extensive inventory of wood is stored vertically. I would prefer to store wood vertically, too, but I thought it was better to store it horizontally. Any explanations for either choice?

I have an unattached storage building in my backyard. I would like to move the bulk of my wood storage to that building and then bring in what I need for a project a couple of weeks ahead of starting.

Are there any problems with this plan? Will the wood suffer being stored in an outbuilding rather than the garage?

Thanks a bunch!!

TJ

I store my wood in metal shed next to shop with no problems.
    Mike

Teresa -

I have most of my wood stored horizontally in an unattached shed out back. It is all stickered. I have done this for a few years now, and have noticed no problems w/ flatness or moisture. I bring the wood in for the next project a few days prior to use to allow it to acclimate.

Regards,
    Ted

There is no problem stacking dried lumber upright or flat. Green lumber...flat and with stickers. I have lumber stacked both ways.

You can stack the boards in a detached building, but I would bring the boards in a few days in advance of starting your project. This will allow them to acclimate to your shops humidity level..or lack there of.

I have a combination of all the above: Stacked flat and vertical in the shop (climate controlled), as well as some stacked flat out in the garage w/o AC or heat. Like has been said, if I'm using stuff from out in the garage, I bring it in a few days ahead of time. No probs.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Kiln dried lumber doesn't need to be stickered. I like to store it vertically because I find it easier to sort through it. If you are going to do that though you need to keep it as vertical as possible. If it is really leaning with the bottom out from the wall it will warp.Mine is pretty much out of the way but if I were to bump a stack some of them might chase me. :>)
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Thanks, Everyone!

Thanks for all your feedback!

I wanted to store my lumber vertical for the same reason Steve gave, easier to sort through! It never fails the board I want is on the bottom of the stack.

I'll keep in mind that vertical means vertical when I move the wood to the shed.

Thanks again for all your help!

TJ

I have also heard that if you have a concrete floor with the wood stored vertically you can alter the moisture content as concrete is inherently hydroscopic and the wood will have a tendency to pick up moisture from the floor. I counteract that by using pieces of vinyl under the ends.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

One small issue with storing lumber vertically is that it may get grit from the floor ground into the end. The grit may eventually nick a planer blade. The solution is simple: trim the ends of the board before you work with it. (This is also a good time to look for staples in the ends of the boards!)

I don't think I have ever used a piece of lumber that I didn't trim some off the end. If nothing else I will trim 1/4-1/2" to look for checking and usually have to trim off more and it may be anywhere up to a foot if the checking is bad.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I have a concrete floor in my shop and plan to put a wood floor in the wood storage bin. That should take care of the grit on the board ends.