Thread: transtint discovery

transtint discovery

I just finished a maple table using Transtint dye . To get a true brown I used equal parts Dark Mission Brown (slightly green) and Brown Mahogany (slightly red).
    I share this so others will not have to buy 4 bottles in search of something so apparently simple.
    After 2 coats of shellac I followed with Cabot oil based pecan stain and the result is really good. The illusion of depth is a big plus.

Charlie,

Welcome to the wonderful world of dye... The two coats of shellac actually turned your stain to a "glaze coat".

You can open another world by using a gel stain or a pigment only stain as your glaze coat instead of minwax and their pigment/oil soluable dye combinations.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

As a follow-up to your PM...

Spraying is not the best way to apply stain or glaze as both must still have the excess wiped off. They are very thick and don't lend themselves to spraying.

Spraying is ideal for toners which are tinted clear coats applied BETWEEN clear coats to add a transparent color coat. Think of it as colored cellophane sprayed onto the wood to even out the tone; hence the name.. Most are lacquer based. All should be sprayed.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.