Thread: Ideas for timber mobile base for cabinet saw

Ideas for timber mobile base for cabinet saw

i have a grizzly g0605x like shown here

I bought this as it was going to be stationary in my shop. well im moving into a new shop and would prefer it mobile, Plan to use these casters. http://www.zambus.com/product/330lbs.php.

I have a design im working on but am looking for other ideas also

Robert, I just finished painting the mobile base I built a few minutes ago. I used 4X4 Douglas Fir with 6 adjustable pads from McMaster Carr. My Grizzly casters will bolt on, when it needs to move, from the top and be stored out of the way when not needed. The Zambus casters are certainly more than adequate and easy to use if they fit your situation. I personally wanted the pads to be fixed so that I didn't have to re level the saw to match my other saw and mobile outfeed table. Doing it the way I'm doing it will save me a lot of down time if/when I need to move the saw, which won't be often.
    How high do you want the saw to be raised? Are you trying to keep it as close to the factory height as possible? Or do you need to raise it up some? I needed mine to raise about 2" to be at the same height as my other surfaces. So 4X4 was too high, but I routed out a "pit" that the saw sits into. That way the saw base is completely surrounded by wood.
    I would have loved to have had a couple of big hunks of oak to make mine out of, but money and time were an issue for me. Here is the link to the post where I asked for some ideas, and then posted what I ended up doing: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=129715 Hope it and the posts of others in it help some! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Heres my version: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=115811
    I dont have the glorious outfeed/extension tables that you do, but in my post theres a link where you can see that the design is easily adapted to allow for support of outfeed tables.
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'll throw mine in there.

Me, too. Here's mine...

[QUOTE=Cary Falk;1351302]I'll throw mine in there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

those all look great.

Ill continue to work on my design.

The Zambus casters are awesome. I put a set of them (the ones rated for 600lb each) under my PM 160 planer and I was amazed at how smooth and easy it is to move eleven hundred pounds of CI around. The leveling feet are an added bonus. You just spin the little red wheels until the pads hit the floor so there is no need to fuss with trying to engineer a base that will stay put when you need it to.
    David DeCristoforo