Thread: Tension spring for Grizzly 14" band saw

Tension spring for Grizzly 14" band saw

I bought the Carter Cobra tension spring for my G0555 bandsaw but it is shorter than the OEM spring by about an inch. Can I still use the carter spring or will I have to order a spring from Grizzly?
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

I don't know the Grizzly saw, but the mechanics of springs says that the force is the product of spring constant times deflection. Since you are starting with 1 inch less available deflection, unless the Carter spring is one he!! of lot stiffer than the Grizzly spring you'll not get enough tensioning force out of the spring to do the job without compressing the spring to it's solid height. And, if you use an "on-saw" scale and pointer to set tension, it will be waaaaaay out of calibration.

My advice, based on a lot of ignorance about the specific configuration of your saw: Return the Carter spring and get one that's a closer physical match to the length, diameters, and with a spring constant equal to or greater than the original spring.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gaskins View Post
    I bought the Carter Cobra tension spring for my G0555 bandsaw but it is shorter than the OEM spring by about an inch. Can I still use the carter spring or will I have to order a spring from Grizzly?
    Why did you replace the grizzly spring?

There is a spring for Jet brand saws that is about a half inch longer than the Delta replacement spring, but you are still shorter than the Grizzly spring, and I don't know if the springs are weaker or stronger.

http://www.tufftooth.com/high-tension-spring.php
    At the check-out you need to make a note that you want the 3" spring.
    Definition of an expert: Someone more than 50 miles from home with a briefcase.