Thread: Walnut/Bird's Eye Maple Coffee Grinder

Walnut/Bird's Eye Maple Coffee Grinder

Just finished my coffee grinder. No more 5:30am electric grinder noise in the morning, neighbors will love me. Nothing more then a simple box with drawer. Just another project to practice dovetails, fitting a drawer, making a pull (Holly). Figured I'd fool around with making the sides pieces pins at the front and tails at the back. I also made the middle tail into a "pin" on the front board just for something different. Finished with Tried and True Danish Oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very cool! I'm not a coffee guy but I know I'm pretty impatient in the early a.m., can't see myself not using the modern technology, sorry neighbors.

You turned a very simple design into a very unique piece for the grinder. You did an excellent job on the joinery and yeah... it gets better the longer you do it. Great job!
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Haven't seen one of those in years! Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Zenuk View Post
    Finished with Tried and True Danish Oil.
    How do you like this finish, I've been wanting to try it.

I'll take mine with cream, please.

In a mug if you don't mind. Coffee and wood working, two of my favorite past times. Nice work.

Neil, that is some exceptionally nice work!! You obviously cut the drawer front from the same board to keep the grain consistent. I usually rip and glue the stock back together. Is that what you did? If so, very clean! If not, what is the secret?

Very nice work. Where did you get your grinding mechanism? Does it work well. I have thought of making one of them also.

I love the finish, simple, 100% non-toxic, and it really lets the wood shine without being glossy. Finally someone who knows how to drink coffee, there's no place in coffee for sugar. I must say I would rip the front piece to get the middle out if I had a bandsaw, but I don't. So I cut out the hole, placed the front over another piece so the grain lined up then traced out the rectangle. Cut it slightly over sized then built and fit my drawer. I got the grinder from my favorite tool store Lee Valley. They sell for $17 CAD http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,250,43298, and they work well. The grind is adjustable but it works best for french press or auto-drip, doesn't go fine enough to do espresso tho. The box holds enough for about 6-8 cups of coffee depending on how strong/weak you like it. Also added a shot of so you can see the grind, and it took about a minute to fill the box.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Neil,

This is a really nice project and you've given me a great idea for some special small pieces of wood I've been wondering about. I also like T&T finish and use it as much as I can. It gives such a warm glow to the wood and is non-toxic to boot. I presume you kept the inside of the drawer finish free?

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Kevin

Very nice but simple design.The joinery adds to it.Where did you get the grinder at?
    Donny