Thread: 6-inch dust collection hose

6-inch dust collection hose

Howdy guys,

Help on one more component of the sytem being requested. Thanks so much for the help so far!! It has been great.

Just wondering what everyone is using for Dust Collection hose?

It seems like the 6" is a little harder to find. I only plan on using the 6" past blast gates and only in runs of up to 2 feet. (I need to move my machines around some, but 2 feet away from the wall gets them in the open so I don't need much).

What is the best balance between price and quality?

Onieda has some really nice selections, but man are they pricey, any other suggestions?

Thanks again!!!!

Jeff
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Wynn Environmetal has always been great to deal with for me.

http://www.wynnenv.com/flexible_hose.htm

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jeff, you might check with companies that install wood or propane stoves.
    When I worked for one they used 3, 4 and 6 inch aluminum flex hose. I used (4") on my TS.
    When a stove is installed they usually have short pieces left over. Good luck!
    Jim

I've gotten it from Oneida and Kencraft. The latter is local to me so I don't have to pay shipping so that's probably the only placed I'd buy it now but I didn't know about them at first.

Unless its something different that what I've seen, that aluminum flex is pretty rough on the inside?

When I did my research recently, Grizzly seemed to have the best price (cheaper than Wynn Environmental). $50 for a 10' length. Looks like Wynn has added a new product since then that is $4 cheaper, so it probably comes down to shipping cost.

Here's the grizzly hose I have:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-...ble-Hose/H1445

I got both my 4" and 6" from Woodworker's Supply. No problems with it. At the time, it was the best price I could find. It's maybe not as heavy duty as the Wynn hose, but it does allow for fitting over the pipe a little easier. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield View Post
    Wynn Environmetal has always been great to deal with for me.

http://www.wynnenv.com/flexible_hose.htm

Terry
    That's where I get mine too.

I bought two of the 6" x 10' 25 mil clear PVC hoses from Wynn and am very happy with them: http://www.wynnenv.com/flexible_hose.htm

While putting together my cyclone system I opted to use flex hose to connect my filters to the blower and went with the 9" x 2' hose from Grizzly:
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/H6953

For the short two foot run from the blower to the filters this hose is fine. The wire is very heavy duty, however the plastic seems to be a bit thinner and folds in much more than the Wynn hose. If the Grizzly 6" hose is the same as the 9", then I think you would be much happier with the Wynn hose in the long run. Comparing the cost difference, it seems it would be a coin toss as they are about the same after shipping.

6" Hose from Blast gate?

I was wondering if someone can give me a straight answer as I'm upgrading from a 4" to a 6" system. Do the Blast gates go as close to the wyes as possible so if you have multiple branches the DC is not wasting suction in all the unneccasary bits of hose? I've been trying to find a straight answer on this as some people have them on the machines and/or step down to 4" at the machines (which Bill Pentz advises against).

Regards Shep

Shep, I put my gates fairly high, just so I don't have to bend over to open and close them. The tablesaw and jointer are on the same run and the tablesaw is a little bit high, so it could be above the Y where the pipe goes to the jointer. Don't know as it really matters about the leaks. If you use plastic, it fits pretty well, I used spiral pipe and just put duct tape over the joints. That is after putting screws in. Don't put any screws on the bottom of the pipe, causes pipe to plug. On my tablesaw, it only had a 4" opening, so I Y'd it to 2 4" and used one above the table. If it doesn't clean out the cabinet ok, it has some thin strips plugging up the pipe. That's the only plugging I've had on my system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Shepherd View Post
    I was wondering if someone can give me a straight answer as I'm upgrading from a 4" to a 6" system. Do the Blast gates go as close to the wyes as possible so if you have multiple branches the DC is not wasting suction in all the unneccasary bits of hose? I've been trying to find a straight answer on this as some people have them on the machines and/or step down to 4" at the machines (which Bill Pentz advises against).

Regards Shep
    Shep,

IMHO...the gates should go on the wyes or as close to the wyes as possible to eliminate as much dead pipe as you can in your system. It's not a deal breaker one way or the other so if you need to put a gate close to a tool to be able to reach it better, then do it but the system will function better if the gates are close to the main runs and there is a minimum of dead pipe.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I bought 6" hose from a local plumbing supply. They sell it as leaf collection hose. Very nice and heavy duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    When I did my research recently, Grizzly seemed to have the best price (cheaper than Wynn Environmental). $50 for a 10' length. Looks like Wynn has added a new product since then that is $4 cheaper, so it probably comes down to shipping cost.

Here's the grizzly hose I have:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-...ble-Hose/H1445

The 6" I got from Grizzly doesn't fit over 6" sdr. Any suggestions?

Amazon has Jet 6" hose

Jet JW1036 that seems to fit 6" metal connectors a little bit better than Wynn's hose. The price is good--$44.99 today but the shipping is $12.59. Joe, both 6" pipe and 6" hose are 6" I.D. The hose would need to be about 6 1/4" or 6 3/8" I.D. to slip over 6" pipe.

Thanks for the answers.

Regards Shep