Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Made A13 Infill - with Ron Brese's help

James, that photo is the first time it worked like Ron's plane. Up until this week I could never get that.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Can you divulge the thickness of the brass sides and sole? Is the sole brass? At cost of brass these days I may have to substitute silver or gold.
    The Plane Anarchist

Sure, Leigh.

The sole is 3/8". The sides are 3/16" stock. The cap is 1/2" thick. All Brass alloy 360.

I bought this locally at KH metals. I think they also ship (www.khmetals.com). The total brass stock cost $81, which was a lot better than I had found elsewhere.

The cocobolo was hard to find in thick pieces, so I used 8/4. Walnut would be much easier to find in 10/4. The back part is made in 3 pieces, handle and 2 little side panels. The tote was made with 2 thicknesses of 8/4, glued top and bottom.

gorgeous! Really nice job. How much time do you have in it?
    Fullerbuilt

Brian,

I have a Brese small smoother kit that I'll get started on soon, and I need to decide how to finish the infill. What type of finish did you use on your infill?

Very nicely done Brian. I built a Spiers #7 infill smoother a few years ago and it was a lot of fun.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Eiji Fuller View Post
    gorgeous! Really nice job. How much time do you have in it?
    I didn't keep track, but every time I do something that I totally didn't understand when I started, it takes about 40 hours. So that's my story and I'll stick to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce Adams View Post
    Brian,

I have a Brese small smoother kit that I'll get started on soon, and I need to decide how to finish the infill. What type of finish did you use on your infill?
    This part was really fun. First time around, I rasped, then failed, then sanded through the steps to 320 or 400, then used the Beall's Buffing System which ends with Carnuba wax.

The second time, I had discovered Micro-Mesh Cushioned Abrasives:
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...ro%20abrasives

I took the wax off with mineral spirits, then started through the Micro-abrasives: 1500, 1800, 2400, 3200, 3500, 4000, 6000, 8000 and 12000 grit. It took a couple of hours while watching TV. As it is now there is no finish at all besides the sanding.

It feels like glass and cocobolo got together and had babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Very nicely done Brian. I built a Spiers #7 infill smoother a few years ago and it was a lot of fun.
    Dave, do you have a picture of that, here or on your website? I would love to see that.

Brian, I don't think I have it on the website, but it was posted here on the creek a few years ago.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH