Thread: memorial flag case

memorial flag case

After my brother-in-law unexpectedly passed away my mother-in-law asked me to make a flag case for her. I did and took it astep further and made the cabinet below. This way she could put his albums,or whatever in it. Everything was made out of a native wild cherry I had milled. I left the wood natural and only finished it with minwax antique oil finish.P1200016(1).JPG

Very nice work Ray. Is the flag case attached to the cabinet? I seem to make too many flag cases. Did three last week and have another to start tomorrow.

Love the wild cherry too. Quite attractive.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Ray, the flag case is beautiful, but the flag needs to be straitened out
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

that is very nice Ilike that you attahced to cabinet

Tony the case is just sitting on top of the cabinet.Gee Dave you're right about the flag.Never noticed it. That was the way it was given to my mother-in-law.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    Ray, the flag case is beautiful, but the flag needs to be straitened out
    I concur. What I do is cut a piece of foam core board from the craft store to fit inside the case. Then I carefully unfold the flag far enough to expose the stars that should show and fold that area around the foam core holding the flag in place with straight pins into the edges of the foam core. When you put it back in the folded part of the flag is behind the foam core and only the stars and blue field on the foam core show but they are perfectly centered and aligned.

Very nice work on the case by the way. I love working with cherry and how it gets better with age.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Excellent job and love the wild cherry Ray... appears the guys have attended to the flag issue...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Thanks for the suggestion about fixing the flag Lee. If and when we dig out of this snow I'll go down and fix it.
    Ray

Great idea and well done.

I need to do make one, as well.

Now, if I could only figure out how to find more time.