Thread: Excellent Book

Excellent Book

By a happy accident I found a great toolmaking book in a local university library. It's How to Make Carpentry Tools an Illustrated Manual, by Aaron Moore, ISBN 1-85339-173-5. It has a variety of step-by-step plans for building a variety of tools like marking gauges, bow saws, planes, clamps, and so on. It's written to help third-world craftspeople who can't afford what many of us can. The clear instructions are in metric.

I made a mirror pair of rebate planes from the book. I used a chunk of ash I had lying around and bought a cheap chisel for the blade. The instructions were easy to follow and the planes work very well. I've made a few Krenov-style planes already, so I did know what I was shooting for. They were made with hand tools except for thicknessing. The hardest part was making the wedges. I could have made the planes in a day, if I had a whole one.

They're no Clark and Williams, and no LV Skews, but they only cost me 12 dollars for the chisel and 5 or so for the ash. I'm very pleased with the planes, and hope to use the book to make a plough plane next.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a neat book. Have to keep an eye out for it.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thank you for the info, I will try to put my hands on a copy!

Those are very neat planes. Could you post a couple of more pictures and some dimensions? I would like to try to make them.

The book is available on Amazon and probably other places.

Nothing new here. Some Elizabethan planes were open sided like that. In WWII,the Japanese military carpenter's kit doubled use of a wide chisel as a plane iron to save weight,and probably material

Well sure there's nothing new about the planes. For me the most important part was finding clear instructions, and an approach that celebrated a certain minimalism of materials and methods.

The planes are about 10" long, 2" thick, and, say, 3" high. I could try to put more pictures up but I don't think they'll help much, as the layout of the throat and wedge was the most helpful part of the instructions.

The book is listed as available through Amazon.com and Abebooks.com.

Get 'em while they are hot!
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Young View Post
    The book is listed as available through Amazon.com and Abebooks.com.

Get 'em while they are hot!
    Thanks, I went to Amazon and got one used for 17 bucks, tax, tip and shipping! Looks like fun, I like making tools more than making stuff. Somethings not right about that......my wife says.