Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tite-Mark Compared to Veritas Wheel Gauge

Thanks Jim. Some of my pins are blunt.

I have the lee valley wheel gauge and really enjoy using it. I haven't had the pleasure of getting a tite mark though so I can't compare. However $89 for a US made product vs $30 for a Canada made tool was a no brainer for now. Hopefully I'll get to try a tite mark at a convention or show and see what all the fuss is about.

Blog Entries
    Larry,

Just looked at my #98 marking gauge. It looks like the pins are press fit. It may be possible to drive them out with a little care and a 1/16" pin punch. If there is any length left, you may be able to just advance the pin a little to give enough to shape and use to mark.

If this were something I was doing I would likely find an old drill that could be sacrificed to make a replacement.

My preference it to use the wheel end as it seems to give a better line to follow than the pins.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I know this is an ancient thread but wanted to chime in, I just bought the tite-mark long deluxe after having the regular tite-mark for a while. I own two Veritas guages, the double and single. It hurts to pay what we do to get American made artisan tools but it's a lifetime investment. The new tite-mark looks like a piece of jewelry, clearly someone cares about how that tool is made. Could not be happier with them. I am thinking of getting the mini but I only see it on third party sites. Do they still make it?

Blog Entries
    The best way to find out may be to contact Glen Drake.

If it has been discontinued the time to get one is soon.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Good suggestion for sure, I have the single with the imperial markings and the double (can't remember if it has the markings or not) I was gifted a Tite-mark when I first started with the hobby so I received it almost the same time I bought the two Veritas when I knew even less than I know now. I ended up liking the Tite-mark a little better, it just was easier for me single handed. Could be my arthritis or just that it's easier. I ended up getting another Tite-mark and I don't really use the Veritas.

They are really nice and I love the clicky graduations that it does. They are nice tools as all the other Veritas tools I have gotten over the last few years.