Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tite-Mark Compared to Veritas Wheel Gauge

Blog Entries

Tite-Mark Compared to Veritas Wheel Gauge

Not too long ago I asked about the difference between the Veritas and the Glen-Drake Tite-Mark wheel gauges.

Most people did express a preference for the Tite-Mark over the Veritas. There was not much explanation other than "it worked better."

Since then, I have acquired one of each.

There is an old Stanley #97 marking Gauge in the image just because there happened to be one close at hand.

100_2393.jpg

One point of confusion for some on these gauges is they are often referred to as wheel gauges or "pizza cutter" gauges. The wheel does not turn as the tool is scribing. They are named for the shape, not the function.

The Veritas is less expensive and has about an inch more length in the rod supplied with the basic unit. The Tite-Mark is available with a 9" rod and numerous other accessories to enhance its capabilities.

For the nitty gritty of the differences.

The Veritas marking gauge has an adjustment feature that first requires the tool head to be locked on the rod by tightening a knurled nut on a locking collet. My experience trying to do this one handed resulted in not getting the knurled nut fully tightened leading to slippage later. To perform a micro adjustment the large wheel then has to be turned. This can be done with one hand, but is difficult at best. The guide head is then locked with a knurled screw. The Veritas gauge has an O-ring internally to keep it from freely sliding on the shaft when the collet is not tightened. The only thing to keep the gauge from rolling off of a bench is the weight of the thumb screw. If it was a bit longer, it could actually work to deter rolling.

The Tite-Mark is locked with a thumb screw. Then a knurled cylander is turned to make fine adjustments. Finally, another thumb screw is turned to lock the setting. There is a plastic set screw to allow the user to set the free sliding tension of the head on the shaft. Another feature of the Tite-Mark is one thumb screw is long enough to keep the gauge from rolling more than one revolution when it is set down. The Tite-Mark is very easy to set completely one handed.

Specifications:

Tite-Mark total standard shaft is 7-1/4 inches. The total adjustment range of the micro adjuster is a little bit more than 3/4 of an inch.

Veritas shaft length is 8 inches. The total adjustment range of the micro adjuster is a little bit more than 7/32 of an inch.

Since one would normally start with the micro adjustments in the center of their respective ranges this would make the Veritas correction ability to be about 1/16 of an inch compared to the Tite-Mark's 3/8 of an inch.

I did not measure the threads. The threads for the micro adjustment of the Veritas are finer than the threads on the Tite-Mark. I do not see this as being an important difference. Over time, it could be a big inconvenience to have to make a full turn to make a 1/32 inch change. There is also the difference in the range of adjustment. Being able to move more could be helpful in many situations.

The Tite-Mark is a little more than twice the cost of the Veritas.

The Tite-Mark definitely feels like it is a lot more than twice as easy to use than the Veritas.

A tool that is more comfortable to use and is easier to use is more likely to be used.

jim
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-26-2010 at 1:58 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim

Very good comprison. Are you going to get all the accesories? I know that Glen-Drake also makes a mini, but they don't list it on their website. It looks good too.

Eric

Jim

Thank you for that great review. I have been looking at the Tight Mark on line and now I understand why the extra money spent will be worth the investment.

Mark

Jim,

I'd be willing to bet the most important difference affecting why the TiteMark works better is the one measurement you didn't take: the difference in weight...

I had a Veritas and never really got the hang of it. Bought a Tite-Mark and worked well immediately, so I sold the Veritas. I've got to say that LV sells a small brass 3-in-1 gage that works very, very well. Cost is less than $20.00 (I have one), and I use it as much as any marking tool I have.

I have the non adjustable one and am generally happy with it. I've been considering picking up a Tite-Mark though. This is helping make up my mind. I really want two anyway for mortising. I tried the double wheel style, and I really don't care for it at all.

I had a Veritas and never really got the hang of it. Bought a Tite-Mark and worked well immediately, so I sold the Veritas. I've got to say that LV sells a small brass 3-in-1 gage that works very, very well. Cost is less than $20.00 (I have one), and I use it as much as any marking tool I have.

I've had a couple of Lee Valley marking gauges for years and never had any real problems with them. It does take two hands to operate them, but I never really found that to be a serious problem. I'm usually taking my setting off a piece of wood held in a vise, or off a ruler (scale). For things like dovetails, I generally set the gauges once, at the beginning of the operation.

Based on comments here on the forum, I just recently bought a Tite-Mark but I haven't really had a chance to use it much. It is a well made tool, but expensive.

If I was making a recommendation to a beginner with a limited budget, I'd recommend the Lee Valley gauge. For someone with greater finances, or someone who's going to use the gauge a lot, I'd probably recommend the Tite-Mark (subject to my experience in using it).

My opinion: If you feel it's important to make the adjustments with one hand, you should buy the Tite-Mark. If you feel you can use two hands to make the adjustments, you should save the money and buy the LV. Beyond that, they seem to work the same.

I just checked the prices. At Lee Valley the marking gauge is $35.50 ($71 for two). The Tite-Mark at Highland Woodworking is $89.99 ($179.98 for two). The difference in price is $54.49 or $108.98 for two. This is excluding shipping at both places.

Mike

[Note: for doing dovetails, especially half blinds, it's really nice to have two gauges so you don't have to keep adjusting one. That makes the cost difference pretty significant - not in percent, but in $.]
    [Let me add another comment regarding the amount of adjustment on the Lee Valley. What I do is set the fine adjustment to one end, then set the gauge a bit short and use the fine adjustment to come to the final setting. That way, you get the full adjustment range. But in any case, you can come pretty close with your first coarse setting and only use the fine adjustment to get the exact setting. After all, our ancestors (and many modern users) didn't have fine adjustments and were able to use marking gauges (but I do find the fine adjustment nice, and it makes it easier to get an exact setting).]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 02-26-2010 at 2:13 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I will have to reply later as I am trying to get breakfast and head up to Seattle before having to pick up the wife at the airport. Hope to be able to stop in at the Tool Event for a quick look.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    After all, our ancestors (and many modern users) didn't have fine adjustments and were able to use marking gauges (but I do find the fine adjustment nice, and it makes it easier to get an exact setting).]
    I have to say I'm with you on this. I never really have a problem getting the exact setting with the Veritas guage. The o-ring friction is just perfect, and the whole thing is silky smooth. The main reason I'm considering the Tite-Marks is that the Veritas keeps rolling off my bench. I've already had to replace the little wheel on it once because I bent it out of shape. The microadjustment's nice and I'd like to try the Tite-Mark just because I don't have one, but the Veritas without the micro adjuster works very very well.

Veritas works for me

I filed a flat spot on the round fence and now my Veritas sits on the bench just fine. The fine adjust is admittedly a bit finicky but find I don't need the fine adjust often. I seem to be able to change the setting and then secure the lock screw with one hand so I'm happy with it. I will end up getting a smaller one but haven't decided on 3-way brass one or another.

Jim B

I have had the LV (non-micro adjust) marking tool for maybe four years or so, and other than breaking the marking wheel when it rolled of my bench, have had no problems with it.

I have never felt like I needed a micro-adjust function for practical reasons. Now, the "gadget guy" part of me does really want one, just because I think they are cool, but so far the more practical, budget conscious me has won out...
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Blog Entries
    Count me as one who doesn't care for the Veritas wheel gauge. I bought the smaller 3 in 1 brass gauge and like it MUCH better. I'm sure I'd love a Tite-Mark but the 3 in 1 works well enough that I can't justify it.

I think the main reason the Tite-Mark is more expensive, is because it looks to be turned from solid bar stock. Large diameter brass round stock will make your wallet a lot lighter.

Jim how big around is the face of the Tite-Mark?
    -Dan

Thank you Jim for the write up! I had my Tite-Mark for a month now and it is a better tool than the Veritas. That said, the Veritas is a good tool, just not as well tought out as the Tite-Mark.