Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tite-Mark Compared to Veritas Wheel Gauge

I too am new to the marking gauge/wheel .... I have the LV micro adjust. I never used one before this one, and as soon as I took it out the package the first time it has worked fine. I looked around Highland the day I purchased mine to see if I could check out the titemark, but I didnt see it. Even still, something is gonna really have to aggravate me to make me put down the LV gauge for me to plop down almost a hundred bucks to replace a fully functional, well made tool that cost me only 40 dollars. So far, that hasnt that hasn't happened. It locks in place fine, feels good in my hand, and if it ever comes to me needing or finding convenience in having a second gauge, I will buy another LV ... and still have spent less for two of them versus one titemark.

Don't get me wrong, a well made tool should cost money, and I can certainly appreciate that.

I guess its one of things situations where you don't know how good something is till you try it for yourself. Who knows, I may try out a titemark one day and be blown away.... but as it is now... I am not blown away enough to say a hundred bucks is worth it to replace a really nice tool that works great.

I solved the rolling problem by drilling a small hole on the back vertical wall of my tool tray a little bigger than the rod. Just laying it in the tool tray annoyed me a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    ........The Tite-Mark is a little more than twice the cost of the Veritas.

The Tite-Mark definitely feels like it is a lot more than twice as easy to use than the Veritas...........
    Jim -

You. Just. Ain't. Helping. My. Wallet. Stop. It.

Kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Jim, do you know how to sharpen a wheel? I have a plain and simple one from Rockler, which would be fine with me for now if the edge was sharp.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I just lap mine. Straight down on a stone and rub. If you wanted to be sure everything was dead straight and aligned with itself, you could probably put the face of the tool on stone, move the wheel until it touched too, and lapped everything together. Then you'll always be straight so orientation won't matter on subsequent marks. I just unscrew mine and rub it.

edit: just wanted to mention something. The new Veritas cutting wheel has a recessed screw, like the Tite-Marks, so I COULD sharpen it without unscrewing it. I just find it difficult to hold it straight, that's all.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 02-26-2010 at 8:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dan sherman View Post
    I think the main reason the Tite-Mark is more expensive, is because it looks to be turned from solid bar stock. Large diameter brass round stock will make your wallet a lot lighter.

Jim how big around is the face of the Tite-Mark?
    And it is 100% made here in the USA.

Kevin Drake has been at the last couple of LNTW handtool events in Oakland, and he is a very innovative guy. His stuff is really, really well made, and it works quite well. First class stuff.

-TH

Blog Entries
    I am not sure about a lot of the extras since I already have about a half dozen other marking gauges including a nice mortise gauge.

The Tite-Mark is almost 1-5/8 inches in diameter, the Veritas is about 1-3/4 inches in diameter.

As I recall, the Lee Valley site has instructions for sharpening the wheel. Just work the flat side on a stone.

I was talking to Kevin Glenn-Drake in Seattle today and he was saying his wheels used to fit on the Veritas marking gauges. Then Veritas changed the screw size and his would no longer fit.

I was mentioning that it seemed possible to use the adjustment ability of the Tite-Mark to set different marking set ups using the adjustment collar. His reply was he didn't want to push that a whole lot because he wants people to have a reason to buy a second and third gauge.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The Tite-Mark is almost 1-5/8 inches in diameter, the Veritas is about 1-3/4 inches in diameter.

Assuming Kevin buys his raw materials in bulk (8' bars), and over-sized (1-3/4"), it would cost him ~$3.25/in. for 360 brass (plain jane), and around $7/in. if he used something like 464 naval brass.

I don't know Kevin's set up, but if it was me I would probably use a 2" long slug just to make the head. Add in some smaller diameter round for the fine adjustment, and some tool steel for the rod,and he's probably got $15 -$25 tied up in just the raw materials.
    -Dan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sherman View Post
    Assuming Kevin buys his raw materials in bulk (8' bars), and over-sized (1-3/4"), it would cost him ~$3.25/in. for 360 brass (plain jane), and around $7/in. if he used something like 464 naval brass.

I don't know Kevin's set up, but if it was me I would probably use a 2" long slug just to make the head. Add in some smaller diameter round for the fine adjustment, and some tool steel for the rod,and he's probably got $15 -$25 tied up in just the raw materials.
    He could make a little back by selling the scrap back for recycling.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

+1 on the Lee Valley 3-in-1 gauge.

At $23.50 it's a great bargain. It is currently my favorite but I very well may buy a Tite-Mark eventually based on the almost universal praise.

I have a no-name wheel gauge now that has just never felt right.

Thanks for another great review Jim.

RD

Smile rolling problem

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    The main reason I'm considering the Tite-Marks is that the Veritas keeps rolling off my bench.
    Stick it in your doghole given that you have 3/4" holes. It won't go anywhere then.

Kelly

He could make a little back by selling the scrap back for recycling.

jim
    Return on scrap will be pennies on the dollar.

Kevin Drake is manufacturing a very high-precision device, and doing it here in the USA. The materials and workmanship are all first class.

I'm amazed that he can keep the prices as low as he has.

-TH

Simple Sharpening

There is a simple sharpening method which works with all of the wheel type marking and cutting gages. I use my drill press, but an electric drill corded or cordless will work just as wel if you clamp it in a vise. Take the shaft off of the fence and chuck it up. Set the drill or press for a relatively slow speed, 400 rpm works for me, and apply the sharpening media of your choice to the beveled side of the disc needing to be sharpened. A light touch on the flat side after honing the bevel removes the burr and presto, you are done. It took me longer to type this than it does to do the sharpening.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Great review. Thanks!

I keep my gauges from rolling around by putting them down inside a thick rubber band.

You could also grind a flat spot on the edge if you wanted to keep it from rolling without affecting the performance.

Thanks for the sharpening tip Dave. I just bought a Stanley #97 & #98. Is is easy to remove & replace and/or sharpen the scracth pin?

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Gelder; 02-04-2011 at 4:44 PM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries
    Is is easy to remove & replace and/or sharpen the scrath pins?
    I use a file on mine. I will have to look at my #98 and see if it is easy to remove the pins.

jtk