Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electrical Question

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Steffeck View Post
    When I did my shop rewiring I used 10-3 for my 240v outlets even though my current equipment does not use the neutral. I simply capped both ends of the neutrals with a wire nut and folded them neatly out of the way in the outlet boxes and panel. This way, if I ever get a piece of equipment that needs both 240v/120v I don't have run new wire.

But if you are not using, or planning to use any quipment that needs 110 as well then you would only need 10-2 or 12-2 right?
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ring View Post
    But if you are not using, or planning to use any quipment that needs 110 as well then you would only need 10-2 or 12-2 right?
    That's correct, although you could run 14-2 NM cable for a 240v/15A circuit. Remember that the box fill requirements are such that, if you have 10/2 going into a box to supply a receptacle and then heading out to feed another box/receptacle - you'll need at least an 18 cubic inch box. The same thing with 12/2 would require a 16 cubic inch box.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ring View Post
    Thats correct. I don't have any equipment that currently needs 240v/120v, nor do I have any planned purchases that need 240v/120v. But, I hate doing drywall enough to put the extra neutral there just in case. The cost wasn't that big of a deal for me since the runs were short. Additionally, I liked the fact that I have red / black wires running to my 240v machine. Using the neutral as a hot conductor requires marking the end of it (tape / permanent marker). In my over-engineer-everything opinion, it can always come off or wear away over time.
    Last edited by Rob Steffeck; 03-08-2010 at 1:47 PM.