Thread: Router Table on outfeed side of TS???

Router Table on outfeed side of TS???

I'm guessing someone has already done this. To save space in my basement workshop, i'd like to incorporate a router table into my TS outfeed table. The outfeed table is not that large....30" wide by 30" deep.

I'm trying to figure out how to avoid having the miter slot dados interfere with the t-slot channels for the RT fence.

Is there any reason why my miter guage dados in the outfeed need to exceed a capacity that takes my biggest sled past the blade??

Also....any pics that you can share would be greatly appreciatted!

TIA

George

Blog Entries
    I am sure this has been done. Folks have posted where they have built the RT into their workbench as well. Since your outfeed is about square you could stand directly behind the saw or perpendicular to that location.

I'm not sure of your layout but understand the possibility of crossing tracks, so to speak. I use slots that go through the table and the t-bolt heads set in rabbets underneath as opposed to t-track. This has worked fine for me for years and across a few different tables and may offer a solution.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Folks typically have the need for a fence for their router table and use their tablesaw fence for their router table fence. They build their router table into their saw table wing. That avoids the issue you are dealing with.
    Howie.........

Howard

That would be more ideal. however due to my DC config, my jointer sits on the side of the TS.

Rather than dealing with moving iot and unhooking hoses......i thought I'd go the other route

I agree with Glenn- if you're gonna use the outfeed table and you're worried about the t-track on the router/outfeed table causing workpieces to hang up when using the table saw, you could just turn the router table layout 90 degrees... that way your T-track will be parallel to your saw blade/miter slots/TS feed direction and you probably won't have any hang ups.

The added benefit is that your TS table acts as outfeed (or infeed) support during routing operations.

I was thinking of doing the same thing (router on outfeed table) since I plan to build an outfeed table in the near future. When I mentioned this to people at the local Rockler's the manager indicated that since I already had a small home made router table I might just want to stick with that. I was looking to set up another router so that I could leave it set for certain operations.
    This fellow said that most of his customers who add the router to the outfeed table end up removing it with about 6 months to a year because it simply gets in the way of the things they are trying to do on the table saw. I don't know if that is true. The members here can probably provide more insight on his comments. But, it did make me stop and think about the approach.