Thread: Suggestions for Mission style finish on quarter sawn white oak?

Suggestions for Mission style finish on quarter sawn white oak?

Can one of the Creekers give me a heads up? I am working on a small folding leaf table. Something of a copy of the "Stickley" style. Through tennon stretchers with square features. The wood is the key here and I lucked into some beautiful quarter sawn white oak with super figure. Most of this style I have seen isn't glossy in finish, but I'm really tempted here as it would look great that way. Can anyone suggest a traditional finish? Any favorites on White Oak? Thanks,
    Bill

Will be Interested in Responses

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jepson View Post
    Can one of the Creekers give me a heads up? I am working on a small folding leaf table. Something of a copy of the "Stickley" style. Through tennon stretchers with square features. The wood is the key here and I lucked into some beautiful quarter sawn white oak with super figure. Most of this style I have seen isn't glossy in finish, but I'm really tempted here as it would look great that way. Can anyone suggest a traditional finish? Any favorites on White Oak? Thanks,
    Bill
    Bill:

My daughter has asked me to put a Morris Chair on the list of things to make for her. I was planning to make it out of quarter sawn white oak using the approach I saw in a Fine Woodwoking Magazine. So, I will be interested in what members have to say about how to get a really nice finish for these types of projects.

The cover article in the current issue of Woodworker's Journal (April, 2010) is an Arts and Crafts blanket chest. The "Finishing Thoughts" column in that issue discusses the method they used to "evoke the Stickley furniture of years gone by". It might be of interest to you.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

I have used the formulas on Jeff Jewitts page, and they have worked well.

http://www.homesteadfinishingproduct...rev11-2009.pdf

I use a dye mix of 1/2 Reddish brown, 1/2 Medium brown for most of the finishes, but have replaced the Medium with walnut brown for slightly darker tones.
    Last edited by Tim Johnson; 02-27-2010 at 4:04 PM.

2 ways

Rockler's Mission Oak gel stain is darn close to the coal tar mixture outlined in the old Popular Mechanics book. Follow up with satin finish of your choice - best in my experience is either Target EM 6000 or - Minwax polyacryilic. Rubbing the gel stain clean with mineral spirits to get an even application is important.

Second method is to fume it, followed by a satin finish (I fume before glue). Read up on that. Not easy and has hazards, but the 25+% ammonia is not expensive and you can make a frame for a fuming tent (use outdoors only) out of 2x4s and get plastic sheathing from a Borg for less than $5.

Will check all the suggestions out.

Thanks guys for the suggestions! I'm going to try and find the latest Woodworkers Journal. I also like the suggestions in Tim and Thomas's suggestions. I will experiment on some of the drop to see what looks best. The wood I have looks so nice I think a full trial run is called for. Thanks to all for suggestions.
    Bill